Wedding Cake

Decorating By Shellchild04 Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm by Shellchild04

Shellchild04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellchild04 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 7

I am getting ready to do my first wedding cake. I am not sure how to get started or what I may need. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. It is going to be a 3 tiered round cake. Chocolate and vanilla cake with chocolate icing in between the layers and white BC covering. I am also going to have to do fondant daisies and royal icing butterflies.

Thank you in advance,
Shelly

6 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:14am
post #2 of 7

A really good resource would be "Wedding Cakes You Can Make" by Dede Wilson. You may be able to find it at your library (mine carries it) otherwise I know Amazon carries it. There is really just far too much to say to be able to put in a post here. This book has very good, basic information on how to build the cake, recipes, the amounts you'll need for the sizes you're planning, etc. I'm sure there are other books along these lines but I'm familiar with this one and found it to be very helpful when I did my first wedding cake. Good luck!

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:31am
post #3 of 7

Hi shellchild04, me too im making my first wedding cake in October, Im finding it daunting at the moment as I dont want to dissapoint the Bride & Groom, my trouble is I lack confidence but everyone tells me I should hurry up and find it because they think im really good at it. OOOh pressure dont you just love it lol xx

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 7

If you guys haven't heard of the SPS system that's touted here on cakecentral all the time, look into it! It's very easy to use, gives you great stability and your cake will be level since all the legs are purchased the same height. Just do a search for it, you'll get lots of hits. Leahs has a thread somewhere explaining the whole thing.

Just remember, a wedding cake is really just several smaller cakes stacked on each other. Do each one individually, learn how to stack them properly (here's where you need SPS!) and practice your techniques if you have the time.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely check into SPS its awesome. Do tons of research here on CC. This place is a wealth of information.

One thing I would like to point out.. your cakes look good but taking photos on top of your washer may be less appetizing to most of your clients. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 7

I agree thumbs_up.gif SPS and they are not very expensive, but very secure!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

Shellchild04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellchild04 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all!! I have never heard of the SPS system. I am definitely looking it up. I am real nervous about it being my first wedding cake. The good thing about it is for my sister so I know she will be very forgiving. Either way I don't want to disappoint her.

Thanks again,
Shelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%