Magic Gum

Decorating By Londonchic Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm by windemire

Londonchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Londonchic Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 4

A friend told me about a product called magic gum which does not use gelatine or egg white in the recipe and is suitable for tropical countries. I have never heard of this product before, can someone tell me more about it?

3 replies
windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 4

I know this post is pretty old, but I just saw it.

You can get Magic Gum from Sunflower Sugar Art: http://shop.sunflowersugarartusa.com/product.sc?productId=545&categoryId=-1

It doesn't use egg whites, and doesn't need to be refrigerated. It's some kind of vegetable gum, though I haven't been able to find out exactly what kind.

hth!

Londonchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Londonchic Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 4

It seems this is the only place this product is sold. Sugarcraft had it but seems it's discontinued. I asked a few places and no one seems to know this product.

The bottle says it's gum cellulose.

There is GUM tragacanth
and Tylose which is a cellulose.

I've tested both gum trag and tylose in the recipe and the result was different in both.

I am extremely curious as to what this magic gum really is and if it's edible and SAFE!!!

And want to know why isn't it available in the US!!

windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 4

Pilar from Sunflower Sugar Art has told me that it's 100% vegetable gum, but she won't say what KIND...she says it's a recipe she developed, which is why it isn't available through any other site.

The label does list vegetable gum as the only ingredient, so I'm sure it's just as safe and edible as the other gums used in gumpaste

It's shipped out of Sunflower Sugar Art USA, which is located in Florida. I don't think Pilar would market a questionable product, as she's fairly well-known in the industry...I've only been curious as to the exact gum it contains, so I could possibly buy it in bulk from another supplier, at a cheaper cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%