Room Temperature Or Chilled???

Decorating By ysevilla Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 5:04am by catlharper

ysevilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysevilla Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 10

hi everyone, i'm just confused whether or not i should let my cake covered in BC come to room temperature before applying fondant or have it nice and chilled before putting the fondant on??? I am making 2 birthday cakes today and wondering which one is better to do.. thanks..

9 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 10

You'll hear from both camps. I like to chill my cakes before applying the fondant. I freeze for about 20-30 minutes to firm up the outside of the cake without freezing it through and through. That way, I can really press on the fondant to make sure it's smooth without worrying about smooshing the cake.

ysevilla Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 10

thank you.. I usually cover a chilled cake with fondant.. but the problem is I got bubbles to other time i did that.. i am not sure if there is a connection with the cake being cold..or is it just during the time i covered it with fondant?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 10

bubbles in your fondant, is coming from when you knead the fondant. Bubbles under the fondant, are coming from the cake. There is some debate about how a cold cake, coming back to room temperature can cause this. however, i cover every cake of mine while it is chilled and well firmed up, and never have i had an issue with bubbles. allowing your cakes to settle though, will also help reduce bubbles

DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't had a bubble under fondant in a very long time. Don't really know what I'm doing right. icon_smile.gif

I do keep a pin handy and watch the cake carefully while it's resting, just in case.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 10

Hello, I live in Fla. and have had better luck with freezing my cakes overnight with a crumb coat, taking out the next morning and letting them thaw on counter in a very cool a/c room. Once to room temp I apply buttercream (not very thick) and smooth well. Put in freezer about 5 to 8 min. no more (or I get lots of air pockets) apply fondant. I don't know if its the condensation from the freezer but my MMF does not work well with very cold cake. icon_smile.gif

jjpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjpow Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 10

I NEVER chill my cakes. I was in a hurry today and covered a chilled cake...of course when i came back later to check on it...HUGE BUBBLES. never again...

DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

my MMF does not work well with very cold cake.

I think a very important detail is being overlooked... Are we talking about MMF? Store bought fondant? Homemade fondant? White chocolate fondant?

The answers may vary depending on the type of fondant being used.

I use FondX or Satin Ice. Have never made or used MMF.

ysevilla Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 10

thanks for all your replies... i am using satin ice fondant.. i tried to knead my fondant more this time and I guess I didn't have bubbles.. cake was chilled..i guess it depends on how I work with the fondant and the cake..I probably need more practice..

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:04am
post #10 of 10

From experience I have found that a chilled crumbcoat doesn't cause air bubbles but a chilled cake does. I know a lot of people who, after allowing the cake to settle and come to room temp, then chills the cake for 5-15 mins to set up the crumbcoat.

The reason behind the bubble problem is that your cake expells air/gas while coming to room temp. They can escape thru the crumbcoat but not thru the final BC or fondant coat so they either cause a blow out in BC or big bubbles in fondant.

The only time I get bubbles in my covered cake is when I rush the settling/coming to room temp time table. Anything less than 3 hours and I run a chance of bubbles.

BTW...this is with fondarific and with MMF for me.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%