post #1 of 46

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' om?

45 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #2 of 46

Three wedding cakes, one groom's cake plus one party cake.
1 wedding cake picked up yesterday for a wedding today; party cake and groom's cake nearly done, 2 wedding cakes prepped. Kitchen still to clean.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 46

I just cleaned out about 4 years of PMs from my message files. I figured the less stress I put on the database, the better it will work.

Tomorrow I start work on a baby shower cake. It only took me 3 weeks to figure out a design for a baby boy that will work with brown and green - the colors the mother picked out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:49am
post #4 of 46

Come on out of the shadows, lurkers! What have you got goin' on tonight?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 46

No orders to work on tonight, don't have another cake due until Wednesday. Home alone with the kids so finally got them in bed and now I am going to go try out a new chocolate cookie recipe. I mixed it up earlier today and had some of the dough.... I could have eaten the whole batch. So hoping they taste as good baked as the dough does.

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:54am
post #6 of 46

mmmm chocolate cookies. Are they chocolate dough or chocolate chip?

shawneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawneen Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 46

No cake tonight, but will be making margarita cupcakes this weekend. Leftover tequila lime buttercream I want to use up.

Trying to figure out a design for a little girls birthday who wants a rainbow and a peace sign. Still thinking on that.

Trying out a new recipe next week (pumpkin cake) for a friends husbands birthday next week.

Overall a nice quiet night after a long busy week at work.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 46

Ya think people would have better things to do than get married Labour Day Weekend!!! icon_lol.gif

Busy weekend for me. Finished and delivered two wedding cakes today, working on two more for tomorrow and one for Sunday. All are three tier, four of the five are relatively simple which is good, one is a bit tangly. The tangly one is a combo hex-round design in different shades of purple and trimmed with gold with sort of a "royal" type theme going on. Not my cup of tea, but it pays the bills!!

I'm doing Sunday's cake a day early so when Sunday comes around, all I have to do is deliver it. That way I'll get some family time for the rest of the long weekend.

After this week, only four more weeks of wedding cakes and then I'm off on vacation for a couple of weeks. Can't wait cause I need the break!!! Viva Las Vegas!!!!

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:10am
post #9 of 46

shawneen, have you seen the 6 layer rainbow cakes? The layers are different colors, so you don't see the rainbow until you cut it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Chocolate dough... mmmm. I've been craving chocolate ever since I had my son. I was NOT a chocolate person before so I don't know what he did to me, but these cookies sound so good. First pan is in the oven, 8 minutes and counting icon_smile.gif Already have my glass of milk ready to go.

Just wish I had some ganache around, i'm sure that would make them even better. Maybe with some marshmallow creme filling too.

I did pick up some ande mint baking chips and i'm going to try half of the batch with those in it too.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #11 of 46

working on an order of one of my specialty strawberry short cakes. Have orders for two more on monday and a pound cake on tuesday.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #12 of 46

I baked like a crazy woman yesterday. A large birthday cake for my nieces' combo birthday party next weekend + indv 4in cakes so they can each have their own "candle cake"--those went into the freezer so I can finish them when we get back from 4 days at the beach.

I did a cake for my hubby's office--when I was taking classes they got all my lesson cakes. I guess they have been whining about no visits from the cake fairy so I did a practice cake & sent it with him this am.

Cake for a dinner party tomorrow night is waiting to get it's fondant decor.

I intended to bake the 2 party cakes I need for Sunday today but it was just to hot this afternoon to turn on the oven. I'll get those baked in the am, get a batch of orange BC made and then do the fondant for the dinner party cake. Sunday's cakes aren't needed until the afternoon so I have a little breathing room.

Kristy

KJ62798 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Chocolate dough... mmmm. I've been craving chocolate ever since I had my son. I was NOT a chocolate person before so I don't know what he did to me, but these cookies sound so good. First pan is in the oven, 8 minutes and counting icon_smile.gif Already have my glass of milk ready to go.

Just wish I had some ganache around, i'm sure that would make them even better. Maybe with some marshmallow creme filling too.

I did pick up some ande mint baking chips and i'm going to try half of the batch with those in it too.

I soooooo could not have those in the house---toooo yummy!

K

KJ62798 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneen

Trying out a new recipe next week (pumpkin cake) for a friends husbands birthday next week.

Have you tried pumpkin-chocolate cake? I think I got a recipe from AllRecipes or Cake Mix Doctor.

Made it last year for Thanksgiving---amazing and even my "I don't like pumpkin" kids ate it.

Kristy

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #15 of 46

This may be a stupid question, but do all you lovely ladies who do three, four, five cakes in a weekend - wedding cakes no less! - do it with help, or all alone?! I have one cake for a friend's party tomorrow. My first naughty one I might add. And it's taken me just about all day. I am pretty much a newbie I know. But I'm pooped. How the heck do you do it!!!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #16 of 46

I did a skateboard cake Wednesday & have another army helmet cake for next week.
I used Sugarshack's Buttercream icing for the first time this week and really liked its texture & smoothness.
Other than that weekend off & heading to the lake this weekend!
Happy Labor Day everyone & safe travels!

mmarrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmarrs Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:28am
post #17 of 46

no cake tonight

finished and delivered birthday cake and cupcakes to my son's teacher this morning. next cake is due next Friday.

headed out of town in the morning with hubby & kiddos. taking advantage of the long weekend to escape busy-ness and reconnect.

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:32am
post #18 of 46

. . . Make that lovely ladies AND handsome men!

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:32am
post #19 of 46

Monday helping DD move the last of her things into her new house,. It's sooo cute! Trying to bake early for next weekend.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:41am
post #20 of 46

I work alone for the most part. Hubby does help with the support system, deliveries and he also makes the wooden cake boards for me. It means working seven days a week and long nights especially close to the weekends. Thankfully the wedding season here is only from May to October so the rest of the year is much less hectic.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #21 of 46

I have a bridal shower cake I'm working on for delivery tomorrow, and then nothing else this weekend. Im actually relieved! It's good to have a nice weekend break!

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:44am
post #22 of 46

Is the club still in order? May I join in?

If so, I just baked 2 11x15 sheet layers and I think they are toast. Used the WASC but added the pudding.......guess that was my mistake. (these are reg white for a Lady Baltimore Cake) I also thought it might help to add some baking powder to the 4 basic cake mixes with the add-ins and the cake is very dry looking with a few cracks. Baked with nails and wraps.

So now I have a 3rd 11x15 cooking without pudding.

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #23 of 46

Yes, we're still here, Tea. Sorry about the cakes. I don't use that recipe, so I have no advice to offer.

Classycakes, I work alone too! That's a large part of why I revived the FNCC several years ago. So many of us are up late on Friday Night and who understands cakers better than other cakers?

shawneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawneen Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:54am
post #24 of 46

leah_s = I have seen the rainbow cake and that was also part of the request for the cake. She also wants a rainbow on the outside of the cake and then wants to surprise everyone when they cut into the cake.

KJ62798 = I have not tried a pumpkin-chocolate cake. That sounds very interesting and I may have to go in search of that recipe. Or if you have it handy I would greatly appreciate it.

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #25 of 46

How does this work, do you just keep hitting refresh to see if anyone has posted?

My last layer just about ready to come out of the oven and it doesn't look much better. ;cry;

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:59am
post #26 of 46

After this week, only four more weeks of wedding cakes and then I'm off on vacation for a couple of weeks. Can't wait cause I need the break!!! Viva Las Vegas!!!![/quote]

Have a great time here and don't eat in the Monte Carlo Cafe during graveyard shift! Trust me icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #27 of 46

refresh works!

KJ62798 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:03am
post #28 of 46

Shawneen--It's a doctored cake mix recipe. Not sure where I got it.

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 15oz can of pumpkin (not the pie filling)
2 eggs
2 tbls oil

Bake at 350. I did it in a bundt pan for Thanksgiving. The original recipe recc'd a 9x13 for 35-40 but I don't see why you couldn't do it traditonal 8in rounds. I would just keep a close eye on it until you get a handle on how long it takes in different pans.

The recipe recc'd cream cheese frosting.

HTH
Kristy

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #29 of 46

The only cake I'm doing tonight is one I'm going to use for a demo at Hobby Lobby so I can round up some students for my new Wilton class.

The plan for a demo came very last minute and I'm going to do it tomorrow morning. I don't even have a design in mind yet, so hopefully something will come to me.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #30 of 46

no cakes for me for awhile. I am currently laid up, I tripped last week, bad fall, thought I broke my ankle, doc wanted to put in cast, but because lympadema was so bad they couldnt get a decent x-ray. and because of lymp..they couldnt cast it. So... I am stuck in this boot thing for a few weeks and told to keep off the foot. I am deadly with my crutches icon_lol.gif

here I am cake less.. dying for a coffee cake.. dont know why I am craving one.. and I cant find a decent EASY recipe that my DH can make for me. Any one have an easy coffee cake recipe? that also dont require sour cream, or nutmeg?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%