What Time Can I Take It Out Of The Fridge?

Decorating By tsal Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm by kansaslaura

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:31am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

it's my son's birthday party tonight and I will be serving the cake at around 7pm. It's a chocolate cake filled with SMBC that I made yesterday and refrigerated overnight in the Wilton cake taker (I'm hoping this will have helped the cake retain moisture!)

SMBC, when refrigerated, gets super hard. I usually fill my cakes with something whipped-creamed based, but had a ganache disaster so just filled the cakes with SMBC.

I would like the cake to come to room temperature for serving. How long in advance can I take it out so that it's fully at room temp at serving (7 pm)? Can it sit out for more than 2 hours?

It's such a shame that SMBC's texture changes so much as it gets rave reviews around here - but I find the 'chunk of icing on your plate' texture kind of embarrassing.

Thanks!!

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 4

There's no reason for the cake to be in the fridge AT ALL. Refrigerators suck moisture out of cake and all baked goods. It's a relative humidity thing.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 4

But I thought that SMBC had to be refrigerated if being left out for more than a few hours?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 4

It's just as stable as the "regular" buttercream. And I agree--it's like cutting ice cold butter straight from the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%