I'm Having Gumpaste Issues (Doing Roses)

Decorating By grannys3angels Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm by grannys3angels

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 9

Heres the trouble I am having, I have or had Satin Ice Gumpaste, it is to soft. I had Wiltons Gumpaste it is drying to dried (causing the flowers to dry & crack on the edges of the petel), so I mix the two together...still to soft.

Can you had Tylose to the gumpaste to make it dry more then what it is doing now.

When I roll it out, I am having trouble with it being to soft and falling/ripping apart and if it hold up to the 5 petel rose cutter, when I go to ruffel the edge it rips apart or stretchs apart.

What could I be doing wrong and how could I fix it? I have never had the trouble doing roses like am now icon_confused.gif . Thanks for taking time to read this and I would be ever so thankful any help/advice I get.

God Bless,

Sharon

8 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 9

I prefer to use Nicolas Lodges gumpaste recipe. This is great for flower making. I see its not available on the website anymore, but if you pm me ur email adress I will mail it to you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 9

How thin/thick are you rolling it?

grannys3angels Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 9

I'm rolling it very thin, it's for roses. Everything I have seen or read saids to roll it thin, to where it's kinda transparent. Thank You for your reply.

God Bless,
Sharon

EDITED: words were left out.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 9

Sometimes too thick can cause the tearing and stretching issues when softening the petals. that's why I asked.

Is your gumpaste sticky when you trying thinning the edges?

Peeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeb Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 9

Sounds like you need some cornstarch to keep it from sticking....although that would make the drying problem worse. Hmmm. Are you keeping it under plastic until you use it? Maybe it's drying out as it sits waiting to be used?

I usually cut it out, and immediately put the pieces under the plastic of my old wilton practice board, then pull out as needed. I also roll out super, super thin.

grannys3angels Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

Yes TexasSugar, it does kind of feel a little sticky, or it will like stick to the ball tool.

Peeb, (QUOTE) I usually cut it out, and immediately put the pieces under the plastic of my old wilton practice board, then pull out as needed. I also roll out super, super thin. (UNQUOTE)..... I am doing this, and have it in a plastic freezer bag and keep there till I go to use it.

I ended up mixing some faondant with it and also added some shortening to it.....I did some test samples of some rose petels, so far they are looking good....but I am keeping my finger cross icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much everyone for all your help, I am very greatful for it and your time!

God Bless,
Sharon

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 9

I use either wilton's fondant with gum-tex or wilton's gumpaste for my roses.

One thing to keep in mind, when you roll your gumpaste out, and you place it in the practice board the bottom side is usually more sticky. So I always try to keep that side down when I am thinning the petals. Just make sure to dust your thin foam so it doesn't stick to it.

grannys3angels Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 9

I have always used Wiltons Gumpaste, but thought I would try Satin Ice Gunpaste...(didn't pay me this time to think lol), I know now I will stick with the Wilton's or make mine own.

If I end up having trouble with the way I had to mix everything together (but so far it is turning out o.k.) I am going to make Nicolas Lodges recipe and give it a try. Thanks again for your help, advice and tips thumbs_up.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%