Cover A Square Cake In Fondant?

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm by kristanashley

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 7

I have done a few squares before and didn't have much trouble. Today I'm doing a gift box and can't get nice corners. I ripped off what I did, fixed up the buttercream and put it in the fridge. Break time - I needed to walk away icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone throw me some suggestions? I need the cake for work on Monday morning so I have time over the weekend to finish it, but I would like to try to get it done tonight.

Thanks!

6 replies
glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 7

I know it might be too late for this suggestion, but have you tried ganache underneath? That's the only way my corners get and stay sharp.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 7

my wilton instructor had me work on the corners first, then do the sides....not sure if that helps. i second the ganache suggestion.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 7

Ganache sounds good, but the guy at work wants lemon buttercream. So.....I'm off to fight with it again shortly. Next time I'll make one for home and try the ganache.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 7

Try putting the cake in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before putting on the fondant. That will make the bc rock hard so you can manipulate your fondant without messing up the cake.

If you're elevating your cake to allow the fondant to drape past the board, try leaving the cake on your work surface so the fondant isn't being unnecessarily stretched.

Lay the fondant on top of your cake, then IMMEDIATELY smooth the top and , with your finger and thumb, the top edges. This will make the fondant adhere to your cake rather than stretching and tearing at the top edge and corners. It's really important to smooth the top well so you don't trap any air under the fondant. If you see a bubble forming, slide a pin into the side of the bubble with the pin parallel to the top of the cake, and press out the air.

After you've got the top done, work on the corners. Then, the sides. Use two fondant smoothers on each side of the corner to help sharpen it and make it straight.

Hope this helps!

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

For perfect box like corners I like to cover each cake side by side.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 7

lori_hutchcakes - I just looked at your website and you are so amazing! I have never seen more beautiful cakes! If you say to cover the cake side by side, then that is what I will be doing. icon_smile.gif My question is what do you do about the seams?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%