Cake Truffel (Balls) Help

Baking By ellentwn Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 5:54am by ellentwn

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 12

what a good ratio of cake to butter cream, i'm thinking slightly more cake. any suggestion is appreciated! TIA all icon_lol.gif

11 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 12

I just use enough buttercream to make the cake crumbs into a doughy ball. No presice measurements. It's got to be gooey/sticky enough to make the shape hold.

KimAZ

Peeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeb Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 12

I would say a lot more cake than binder. Like Kim said, just enough to make it stick together. Depending on what you're using to bind, it can be as little as a few tablespoons.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 12

I just tried these, and I had a sticky gooey mess. They did hold their shape, but after a day they where still soft and fell off the stick. I really did not use a whole lot of buttercream, but obviously tttttttttttttttttttttooooo much. Will try again with way less buttercream icon_lol.gif I agree with the others much more cake than binder..

ellentwn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 12

more cake it is then lol. thank all very much!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 12

when i use a regular box cake mix, i use about 1-4 Tb of BC for the entire thing ... really depends on how moist the cake is.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 12

I depends on how dry your crumbs are. Bakerella uses a whole can of icing to a whole recipe of red velvet cake. I usually use about that much, but I bake the cake on the long side and let the crumbs dry a bit so they will take the binder. In my experiments the binder really adds the kick of flavor so I like to be able to add a pretty good bit. But I also try to make the flavor, the sweetness, and the moisture separate things so I can control each one.

So for my red velvet the powdered sugar and the cream cheese are separate.

In the coconut the coconut milk, the powdered sugar, and the coconut are separate.

I don't use bc in mine. Too much grease not enough flavor for this application. (I love buttercream on my cakes though!)

Once I get the ratio of powdered sugar to milk to coconut then I do now premix that and then add it to the cake crumbs.

There is an entire thread on making cake balls. I think it is called "How about a serious thread on cake balls" something like that, and it has tons of tips and flavor combos and what not. Or you could just go to Bakerella's site and check out her recipes.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 12

I dont use any binder at all. I just squoosh the heck out of the cake ( think meatloaf) and they roll and dip just great and super moist.

Peeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeb Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I dont use any binder at all. I just squoosh the heck out of the cake ( think meatloaf) and they roll and dip just great and super moist.

Really?! Huh. I'm going to have to try that! Thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 12

yep. I use the WASC recipe and just squoosh it very very hard... roll and dip. no chilling needed. of course you can add binders for flavor if you like....or if u want it softer....

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I do the same thing. Super yummy!

ellentwn Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:54am
post #12 of 12

The sqooshing tech sounds interesting . will have to try that next time.....Metria and deMuralist ty for your reponses as well. Love the site and all the helpfull peeps. BAKE ON !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%