Recipe For Large Cakes

Baking By Swee_T Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm by deMuralist

Swee_T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swee_T Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a recipe that works well in large pans such as 14 and 12 in square pans. I love Rose Beranbaum's Downy Butter Yellow cake, but I have trouble making a moist cake when enlarging the recipes according to the charts. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:08am
post #2 of 6

...I just got this book from the library and want to try some of her recipes...hoping for good advice too icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

I'm not a chemist or scientist, so I don't understand why there would be a problem in making enough batter to fit larger size cake pans icon_confused.gif

I did a large 7 tier wedding cake and I did alternating layers of chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and vanilla pound cake with buttercream, all covered in fondant. I made multiple batches of each recipe and filled the pans and baked with no problems. My mixer isn't large enough to double or triple the recipes, so I made each batch and poured it into a large bowl and repeated until I had enough for each size pan.

Don't see why that wouldn't work for you as well icon_smile.gif

Good luck!
Pam

Swee_T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swee_T Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for the replies to my post. I'm new to forums and appreciate your help. I guess I'll try the charts in the Cake Bible and see what happens. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 6

There is a book called BakeWise, by Sbirley Corriher, which teaches about the chemistry of baking. One of the subjects is about what can happen when you double or triple a cake recipe.

Sorry, I don't have it memorized, and the book is out on loan from my "library" or I would look it up for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 6

I love Shirley, but I her Cookwise book, and didn't know she had a Bakewise, looks like a trip to the bookstore is in order!

here is a recipe that I have used and it is fantastic. I baked it in a 9x13 pan as I used it for cake balls and it was fantastic.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15348/summers-scratch-strawberry-cake

maybe you could check it against what would happen with your favorite recipe doubled and see if there is a major difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%