Delivering A Cake For The First Time . . .

Decorating By kurky Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm by lilyankee5688

kurky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurky Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 10

I have only made two cakes and both of them were for my kiddos, well, my best friend is throwing a party for her sister who is turning 15. She asked me to make a two tier cake, zebra stripes on one layer and polka dots on the top with a pink fondant bow . . . I am not too worried about the cake its the bow and the transportation that is making me nervous. I have practiced the bow but still worried. Anyway, any advice you have for me would be nice.

9 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 10

Drive slow and make sure nothing is around the cake to fall on it during the transport.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 10

If you put it on the seat, make sure to put something under it to make it level...Drive slow, especially around corners...If it's hot, turn on the AC....Drive slow...Good luck. icon_smile.gif

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 10

I always lay a towel down in the floor of my car and place the cake box on the towel..I cool the car off before taking the cake out...and the bow should be fine if it is placed on the cake securely.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 10

I stand mine on a thick piece of sponge in th boot of my car....also have non-slip mat under the cake in its box...nothing moves!! Oh, and drive carefullyicon_smile.gif

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 10

like what most people said, first thing, drive slow

1) already have the AC on in the car to make sure the temperature is nice and cool for the cake
2) put it in a moving/corrugated box (cake on a non-slip mat) and tape it up. Bring a box cutter to cut the box around the cake (just make sure you don't hit the cake)
3) if you're really worried about "accidents", just bring a small repair kit that includes RI in a piping bag (covered with a damp cloth to prevent from drying), a pin (in case air bubbles form on certain parts). I've been fortunate that I didn't need the kit, but it brings your mind at ease a bit more knowing you have the power to fix it

GOOD LUCK in your delivery!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 10

The sps cake stacking system is great. The cake seems so much sturdier with that. I drive slowly, I refrigerate the cake so its nice and firm, air conditioning, corner slowly.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 10

You could also wait until you reach your destination to place the bow on the cake.
I have applied many a topper on location!

kurky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurky Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 10

I did it! My husband was driving so I had to remind him over and over to slow down . . . I put the bow on after we got there. They loved it. I am so geeking out!!

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 10

the cake you are describing sounds just like a cake I just did for a friend, I did zebra stripes on the bottom tier, and green/pink polka dots on the top, then a big pink/green bow.. She came and picked it up and I told her to drive slow and turn slow! But Im sure she didnt listen.. haha but it arrived OK! I attached my bow with some royal icing, it didnt move. It was a loop bow, not a ribbon bow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%