Filling A Cake

Decorating By SugarKissesCakery Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm by SugarKissesCakery

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

I need some tips on filling a cake with raspberry filling from a sleeve. Should I do a stiffened buttercream dam and put the filling inside it? Will the filling seep into the cake and make it soggy? I'm doing a stacked cake and I'm nervous about this. The other alternative is putting the filling in between two light layers of buttercream. Which is the correct and most stable way to do it??? Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 4

You will definitely need a buttercream dam around the outside edge. I have never put a thin layer of buttercream on the cake before the filling, i just put the filling in. You just need to make sure that you don't put too much filling in, i typically have about 1/8" - 3/16" of filling. and you want to make sure that your dam is higher than that so that when you put the top layer on you can push down a little bit and the filling won't go over the top of your dam.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 4

Pipe a dam and put the filling inside. Don't overfill.

I use the sleeve raspberry filling all the time and it doesn't make the cake soggy.

I don't do a thin coat of BC since I want the filling to "stick" to the cake. If the BC seals the cake, the filling can slide around--think about how the jelly squirts out of a PBJ if you put PB on both pieces of bread.

HTH
Kristy

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, that helps a bunch. I'm practicing this filling technique for my son's first birthday so hopefully I can work out any kinks before I need to do this for a wedding cake in two weeks. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%