1/2 Sheet Cake Size??

Decorating By heathermeece Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 3:45am by heathermeece

heathermeece Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathermeece Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 7

This may have already been answered but when I searched the forums, nothing was returned as an topic.

I was asked to make a 1/2 sheet cake for a birthday party this weekend. I was unsure of the "correct" size so I did some research on google and was returned with a 9 X 13 pan double to make 18 X 13 and of course double layered. Is this correct??

I am new to baking cakes and would appreciate any answers. The party is for approximately 20-25 people.

Thanks so much!

6 replies
cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

A 9x13 will be plenty for that many people. By most big box store bakery standards a 9x13 would be a 1/4 sheet, and using Wilton's chart that serves 28 if it's 2 layers.

heathermeece Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 7

Ok great thank you for replying!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

12 X 18 is the industry standard for a 1/2 sheet

technically, 9 X 12 is the standard 1/4 sheet, but Wilton started making that darned 9 X 13 a long time ago . . .

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 7

What would you ever use the Wilton 11 X 15 pan for?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 7

I would ask them how many servings they need and base the cake off of that. Sometimes they won't need to order a huge cake if they are not having alot of people.

heathermeece Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #7 of 7

Well the lady said 20-25 but it is for a surprise party they are interrupting church service for so I guess they want to have more than enough in case congregation was larger than expected. I think I will double the 9 X 13 in layers and size, I mean everyone loves cake to take home right! Also, I am doing the cake on a cost basis not for profit so it really doesn't matter too much about size because the lady gave me $35 and told me to make a 1/2 sheet cake with blue/green icing and seashells.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%