When To Decorate/when To Stack - 3 Tiered Cake?

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm by Carmelo

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 5

I am making my first 3 tier wedding cake next month and have questions on when to decorate and when to stack...I am using the SPS system.

The bottom tier is going to be a 14" square bottom with black dots (small) and black fondant ribbon wrapped around the bottom.

The second tier will be a 10" round with the fondant ribbon border and will have scroll work all over the cake.

The third tier will be identical to the bottom tier.

I guess my questions are 1.) would you put the fondant ribbon on each tier and then stack, or stack and then put the ribbon on and 2.) would you do the dots/scroll work first and then stack, or stack and then scroll?

My only concern is messing up the dots/scroll work and ribbon if I decorate and then stack, but I don't want to stack and decorate and then mess something up on the other tiers!

Any seasoned pro's out there that are willing to give some advice on what has worked for you in the past?

Thanks so much!!

4 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 5

me:

stack and then put fondant ribbons on

scrolls: if hand piped I would have to do it before i stacked cuz i cant pipe up that high

dots: i would do after ( unless piped, then before)

HTH

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:35am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Sharon!

I am getting a little nervous! This is my first wedding cake and I just want to make sure my process is as smooth as possible. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 5

you will do great!!

Carmelo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmelo Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 5

you can lightly place some wax paper on the lower layers as you decorate the upper layers in case of drips or clumsy fingers like mine!

you can do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%