Creases At The Bottom Of My Fondant ?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 3:13am by sweetnessx3

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:28am
post #1 of 5

Im just starting to work with fondant . I did a cake this weekend ( attached photo) I covered my cake and couldnt get the wrinkles, creases out of the bottom of my cake ( middle tier) so I hid it with rope boarders icon_sad.gif . Was my fondant to thick ? I was also having problems with it not sticking to the cake , which I know i should have been faster rolling out my fondant so my buttercream didnt crust up ! any help is so apprecated !

4 replies
sweetnessx3 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 5

AWWW My picture wouldnt attach icon_sad.gif but its the Harley cake in my photos .

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #3 of 5

First of all, your cake looks great! Love the tire on the bottom lol . This looks really good considering it's your first fondant cake.

Without knowing how thick your fondant was rolled, it's hard to say if it was too thick. But, something that helps me is to put my iced tier on top of something that is going to give me some lift. Maybe set your cake on a gumpaste can, or a tub of butter, something like that. Anything that will elevate your cake off of the counter, but is slightly narrower in diameter than your cake. Then I VERY LIGHTLY moisten my cake to help the fondant adhere. Some ppl use a damp paper towel, some use a very light spritz of water from a spray bottle. Whatever you prefer.

I never cover my cake in fondant before my BC has crusted. In fact, I place my tiers in the deep freeze for about 10 min while I'm rolling out my fondant. This firms up the BC so that it'll hold it's shape and won't smoosh around while I'm working.

Then I lift my fondant over my cake and start to work it down. The height over the counter lets you work the bottom of the cake really well, and uses gravity to help get rid of those creases and wrinkles. Of course, you need to try to work your fondant as quickly as possible, because the extra height also means extra chances of fondant breakage--arrggh. As long as your fondant isn't too thin, and you work it around the cake quickly, you should be fine, though.

Again, your cake looks great! HTH!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

I had trouble with elevating because it ripped at the top due to the weight.

what works best for me is to make sure that I roll out enough that I have quite a bit of extra fondant around all the edges to work with. I am then able to pull the extra out far enough that if it creases at all, the creases are on the table and not on my cake.

I think its definately something that takes practice and everyone has a different method that works best for them. keep trying and you will get better.. now I'm off to look at your pics!

sweetnessx3 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

Thank you girls , I rolled it about 1/4 inch thick , I just learned to make mmf and omg Ive been having a blast! I thought about elevating my cake because I saw someone do it on you tube but was scared of it ripping . Im so scared of covering with fondant , I was a nervous wreck , but was really proud of it icon_smile.gif

Thank you for the pic compliments icon_smile.gif Ive been posting pics and never got any comments icon_sad.gif but this week I went to enter my pic in the contest and and it replied ' you cant upload a picture in a contest with your comment turned off .....lol ! I was upset for nothing and this morning bam ! I had a comment on my purse icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%