Creating A Shimmer To A Cake And Recoloring Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By kayeldesign Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm by peg818

kayeldesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayeldesign Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:13am
post #1 of 2

I am looking for some advice on how best to create a shimmery look to a wedding cake. The cake is going to be ivory and the customer wants the cake to shimmer. Would the best thing to use be a pearl spray? Or is there something better that I could use? Also, on this cake the customer wants me to try to come close to replicating the clip art design on her invitations. This art is very abstract and the best I can come close to is a Hyancynth flower. I am thinking about purchasing the flowers already made as I haven't done any gumpaste flowers yet and I don't think I have the time to learn within three weeks. However, I cannot purchase these in ivory and the ones I am looking at have a violet color to them in the center. Can I recolor these with ivory petal dust and eggplant petal dust to get the right combination?

1 reply
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 2

It would be very hard to do a lighter color over a darker color. If you are doing darker over them then you should be okay.

I think a pearl spray would be okay, either that or just dry brush some pearl dust on the cake. Depends on the extent of the shimmer you are looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%