Cake Decorator Job Interview

Business By cindybrink Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 3:10am by CWR41

cindybrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindybrink Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:40am
post #1 of 7

I would like some advice on how to prepare for my 1st job interview at a custom cake shop. I have a group interview this Wednesday. Will I be tested on my decorating skills? What should I anticipate? If anyone has gone through this, please give me some advice on how to prepare!!!

6 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:02am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindybrink

Will I be tested on my decorating skills? What should I anticipate?

Probably. I wouldn't anticipate the testing to involve anything very customized, like carving and such, just the basics like icing a cake, making borders, leaves, roses, and doing writing/piping. As long as you have those basic skills down, I'm certain you'll do just fine. Speed and consistency is a plus, but that will come as you learn to do things their way while watching how they'd like it done. Good luck to yougo show 'em what'cha got!

cindybrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindybrink Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

Okay, had the interview today. Just myself and another gal. We were timed on how fast to cut, layer, fill and crumb coat 2 7 inch round cakes. Owner wanted it done in 3 minutes or less. Both myself and other applicant finished at 4 minutes and 15 sec. I guess now I just wait and see!!! Wish me luck!!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #4 of 7

Cooooo! Good luck, and let us know when you know!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 7

Good luck!
In my opinion though, surely for a custom cake shop, the end result should be more important than just doing it quickly? I mean yes, they can set a maximum time limit, but the one who decorated the cake best should definitely be the one to get the job, right?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Good luck!
In my opinion though, surely for a custom cake shop, the end result should be more important than just doing it quickly? I mean yes, they can set a maximum time limit, but the one who decorated the cake best should definitely be the one to get the job, right?

I agree. Speed will increase with experience. When "decorator" positions were available in our bakery, it wasn't given by seniority, you had to score highest on the test which was based on a combination of three things; quality, consistency, and speed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%