Dh Cake Mix Vs. Dh Cake Mix

Decorating By stacey71 Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 4:05am by bmoser24

stacey71 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 11

I tried the DH french vanilla and although I like it, its not really what I was looking for. For those of you that have tried the DH Butter Recipe Golden Cake and the DH Classic Yellow Cake, can you tell me what are the differences between the two and which you prefer?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Doug Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 11

I mix 2 boxes of DH Butter Recipe w/ 1 box of DH French Vanilla.
subbing butter for oil in FV.
milk for water
adding sour cream
extra eggs (3 -> 1/mix)

when need smaller quantity -- I weigh it out to get same ratio.

rich and nice taste of vanilla

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 11

I can never get DH butter to bake right for me at all. It is a thicker batter and does not rise as high as the yellow.

The french vanilla is not too bad. My vanilla cake is:

1 box of DH white cake mix
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla


Now for all my cakes (DH is my preferred brand), I add the following to the box:

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding (use a flavor that compliments your cake)
Up the eggs to 4 from 3
Up the oil from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup.

Teecakesandcookies Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:30am
post #4 of 11

@ Mama_Mias_ cakes what is the baking time for this cake and what do you set your oven on???

Thanksharla Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:40am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

I can never get DH butter to bake right for me at all. It is a thicker batter and does not rise as high as the yellow.

The french vanilla is not too bad. My vanilla cake is:

1 box of DH white cake mix
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla


Now for all my cakes (DH is my preferred brand), I add the following to the box:

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding (use a flavor that compliments your cake)
Up the eggs to 4 from 3
Up the oil from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup.




I do the same as well for my vanilla cakes. I don't use the butter cake mix though as I don't like the strong butter taste

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecakesandcookies

@ Mama_Mias_ cakes what is the baking time for this cake and what do you set your oven on???




Bake as you normally would on the box; however, I like to bake at 325 for all my cakes. It takes a bit longer.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 11

I love the golden butter recipe. I only use it when I need a 'yellow' cake. I make it as is, with no adjustments.

I do have problems with this mix in my 8x3 in tall pan, but part of that is because it makes more batter than the pan needs.

shugamomma79 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 11

I love the DH Butter Recipe, I also use it when I have an order for a yellow cake. I think the taste is very moist and it holds for several days! I do use the DH Yellow for my banana pudding cake and it comes out great!

vdrsolo Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

I can never get DH butter to bake right for me at all. It is a thicker batter and does not rise as high as the yellow.

The french vanilla is not too bad. My vanilla cake is:

1 box of DH white cake mix
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Now for all my cakes (DH is my preferred brand), I add the following to the box:

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding (use a flavor that compliments your cake)
Up the eggs to 4 from 3
Up the oil from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup.




How much water for the white?

conchita Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey71

I tried the DH french vanilla and although I like it, its not really what I was looking for. For those of you that have tried the DH Butter Recipe Golden Cake and the DH Classic Yellow Cake, can you tell me what are the differences between the two and which you prefer?

Thanks icon_smile.gif




the butter recipe uses butter and the regular yellow oil. I think the butter one is more thicker and the taste to me is more richer.

bmoser24 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:05am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

I can never get DH butter to bake right for me at all. It is a thicker batter and does not rise as high as the yellow.

The french vanilla is not too bad. My vanilla cake is:

1 box of DH white cake mix
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Now for all my cakes (DH is my preferred brand), I add the following to the box:

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding (use a flavor that compliments your cake)
Up the eggs to 4 from 3
Up the oil from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup.



How much water for the white?





I was wondering too...I use this recipe and i use 1 c water or liquid, usually. Sometimes I cut it back to 1/2, if I want a more dense cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%