How Do You Get Rid Of The Crack Help!!!

Lounge By KayMc Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 12:53am by emrldsky

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 9

It seems that whether I'm trying to roll a ball out of fondant or gum paste, I always (ALWAYS) have what I'll call an inherent crack in the dough. It's never a solid ball of dough. I knead the dough, I reshape it, but it's never a solid ball of dough - there is always a crack there. HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU REMOVE THIS BLOODY CRACK?????????????????????? I'm trying to mold a character, and I need a ball of dough. But I need a ball without a crack in it.

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 9

Are you kneading it really well with a little bit of shortning first? The shortning helps make a nice smooth surface.

KayMc Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, I am kneading w/ shortening. But there is always a crack. And when I try to roll into a ball shape, the crack certainly affects the integrity of the ball.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 9

For little balls, I just keep rolling and rolling in the palm of my hand and the heat from my hand kind of melts the fondant and smooths out that crack. What I have a problem with, is large balls of fondant that are too large to roll in my hands. There always seems to be a little wrinkle when I roll fondant out to cover it...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 9

Rub it between your palms with some heavy pressure. Really press hard while you are rolling it. Once you get the crack out you can reshape it.

KayMc Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 9

I have totally reshaped it while kneading it, and yet the crack, or a new crack, is always there. I wish I could watch someone else do it.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 9

Ask and ye shall receive!!

Watch how she rolls the ball. She's rolling it quickly, with pressure, and in the center of her palm.

KayMc Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much for the video! That is exactly how I did it. I'm wondering if my gumpate was just too old. I make my own, and this had been in the fridge about 2 months. It wasn't hard, as I had it in two plastic bags and a tupperware container, but maybe it was just too old. What do you think?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:53am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Thank you so much for the video! That is exactly how I did it. I'm wondering if my gumpate was just too old. I make my own, and this had been in the fridge about 2 months. It wasn't hard, as I had it in two plastic bags and a tupperware container, but maybe it was just too old. What do you think?

Not sure about the age but maybe you needed to work with it some more? The idea is to get it really soft, so it'll kind of meld together easier.

Other than that, I dunno, lol. I always manage to get the cracks and creases out by rolling it that way. *shrug*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%