How To Make Ice Cubes? Gelatin Cubes?

Decorating By SWHEATLEYCAKES Updated 7 Apr 2012 , 3:27am by vtcake

SWHEATLEYCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:33am
post #1 of 5

needing to make some ice cubes?
I saw where you could make some out of gelatin but wont the gelatin kinda liquify after so long at room tempature or does it hold its shape pretty good?

4 replies
sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5

I've never tried it, but some around here like to use poured sugar, or isomalt. They pour it into a square (or maybe ice-cube shaped) mold. Just make sure you use a mold that is safe for the really high temperature of the sugar. It's kind of like making hard candy. Good luck!

cajunlady1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cajunlady1964 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 5

I tried to make ice by useing 1/2 cup sugar and !/2 cup kayro syrup and cooked it the microwave for 6 minutes stirring every minute. The mixture stayed clear but did not harden until I put it in the freezer. It broke up fine but melted to a very stick form after about 30 minutes on the cake. What a mess!! Any ideas to what I did wrong. Please I need some help.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 5

I haven't tried this yet but wouldn't the recipe for make jiggler's work when warm? I know I have seen them sitting out for long periods of time and they don't melt.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 3:27am
post #5 of 5

I made ice cubes out of plain gelatin, molding in an ice cube tray. They kept in my refrigerator for at least a week, I don't remember how long I kept them, but once they were put out at room temp they started to melt after 2 days. (I used them on top of red jello as a soft drink w/ice cubes as part of a picnic food cake scene.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%