Tv Shows..what Have You Learned??

Decorating By Yankie Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 1:27am by ginger6361

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #61 of 90

This is a quote from a Washington Post article about Buddy:

"A fourth-generation master baker, Valastro runs the now-famous Carlos City Hall Bakery in Hoboken, N.J., a 10,000 square foot state of the art facility. There he and his staff of about 100 turn out thousands of cakes and pastries every week, and hundreds of people line up in front of the bakery daily to buy sweets."

On the show, they don't show the size of their operation. They usually show the decorating room and the front counter. The article goes on to say that the 100+ employees work 24 hours a day in 3 shifts.
Think of the things each of us could produce with that kind of arrangement!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:40pm
post #62 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

"A fourth-generation master baker, Valastro runs the now-famous Carlos City Hall Bakery in Hoboken, N.J., a 10,000 square foot state of the art facility. There he and his staff of about 100 turn out thousands of cakes and pastries every week, and hundreds of people line up in front of the bakery daily to buy sweets."

On the show, they don't show the size of their operation. They usually show the decorating room and the front counter. But they have a 10,000 sq. ft. facility, and a staff of 100!

Wow! They are huge!! I had no idea!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #63 of 90

I learned not to go on them, HAHA!

( and that is not because I lost) icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I learned not to go on them, HAHA!

( and that is not because I lost) icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

ohh now.. come on. you know you loved it.. just a little icon_biggrin.gif Even if you didnt like it. we did like watching you work your butt off!! icon_lol.gif your cakes are awesome and you looked great on tv. thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #65 of 90

oh thanks Tesso. (I was not fishing for compliments.) The experince was full of both positives and negatives. I don't regret going, I just learned that is not my thing. The challenges.

melindak30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melindak30 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #66 of 90

I wondered when rice krispies became a cake flavor, some of those cakes are more treats than cake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #67 of 90

I don't get to see them that often (no cable tv in my house) but I do like seeing the structures under the cake. I doubt I will ever use the knowledge, but I like knowing it. icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #68 of 90
Quote:

On the show, they don't show the size of their operation. They usually show the decorating room and the front counter. The article goes on to say that the 100+ employees work 24 hours a day in 3 shifts.
Think of the things each of us could produce with that kind of arrangement!

ummmm...is this a recent article?? cuz i remember a show or so ago he was looking for a NEW place to move his operation to. maybe he's done so already!! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:06am
post #69 of 90

Ah this made me cheer up sooooooo much tonight! Especially what indydebi said about where to "whip up" the cake! I had a friend call me at 10 this morning and ask for a cake for 5 tonight. She had the nerve to give me the guilt trip about how bummed her son would be if he couldn't have it at his party. Well I politely said nope not gonna happen (I'm a coonass so trust me that's the nice version icon_smile.gif ). I couldn't believe she pulled that stunt on me...blah! Thanks fellow cakers for the smile!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #70 of 90

Good for you... thumbs_up.gif If it had been me I would have said...No Problem, I was just on my way out to WalMart, I'll pick one up for you...WHAT FLAVOR WOULD YOU LIKE? icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:24pm
post #71 of 90

Step,
Here's the article about Buddy. It's dated May 31, 2010. I saw the episode you're referring to in which he looked at a huge space, but I don't know which happened first.
And there's a glaring contradiction in the article about whether or not he attended college. In one spot, he says he did, and in another it says he didn't. I'm pretty sure he didn't.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/talking-out-of-school/the-cake-bosss-zesty-education.html

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:40pm
post #72 of 90

I just read the article, and Buddy says that he dropped out of High School at 17 after his dad died. I didn't catch the discrepancy where it sounded like he went to college.

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:49pm
post #73 of 90

Where it says "he was a sophomore in college".

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:21pm
post #74 of 90

I have learned about the latest tools used in cake decorating. Fabulous cakes is a good show because there isn't so much drama. I like to see shows like Amazing Cakes, Cake Boss, etc. but when they get all "soap opera-like", I just mute the tv and watch them work. Other than tv, I have learned a ton from youtube.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #75 of 90
Quote:

Step,
Here's the article about Buddy. It's dated May 31, 2010. I saw the episode you're referring to in which he looked at a huge space, but I don't know which happened first.
And there's a glaring contradiction in the article about whether or not he attended college. In one spot, he says he did, and in another it says he didn't. I'm pretty sure he didn't.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/talking-out-of-school/the-cake-bosss-zesty-education.html

hmmm...that was all very interesting! thank you for sharing it. I am too confused by the college and no college references

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cib

Where it says "he was a sophomore in college".

Yep, you're absolutely right. I don't know how I missed that -- maybe I could use some more schooling myself! icon_wink.gif

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:17pm
post #77 of 90

I'm sure they meant to say a sophomore in High school.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:07pm
post #78 of 90

I think it was a typo too.

I watch all the shows, I have learned ALOT- I am also confused on ALOT (I cant pick up a sheet cake and toss it around like that even if its half frozen)

I DO really like fabulous cakes, (although one hasnt recorded since the 8th?? did I miss last weeks?? ) I have learned just basics, (use an icing bag to crumb coat.. duh.... ) and some advanced stuff, like mixing BC in piping gel to make white capped waves or icy waves, making coral, and hundreds of things I dont even remember- but wish I did- or dont remember where I picked them up, but use them daily.

I dont mind the drama- I wish they showed more cake making, but its that type of show-
as far as what we 'see' and 'dont see'- We dont see them wash thier hands, but they do- like they said the other day, would you like to sit and watch them washing their hands? or sit and watch them making a cake?

I do like that duff was talking about the mistakes that happen- sticking your finger in fondant "thats what flowers are for!!" he said. YEP!! or in my case today, I cut hearts and put them on the corners cause one of mine tore- it went with the betty boop theme, and sure saved me some heartache.

I DO wish they would show prices. I really do- OR say at the bottom "hour 15 on the windows for the sisteen chapel" or how ever its spelled. LOL

People think I dont have a full time job because I work Wen- Sat morning. yet, they dont take into concideration that I pull 10-12 hour days, plus one night is an all nighter- thats how it works for me. it is still full time.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:58pm
post #79 of 90

Whenever I have people ask me this question I flash on Tom Cruise in Days Of Thunder when they ask him where he learned to drive and he says "you'd be surprised how much you can learn watching ESPN" LOL...yup, I learn a whole lot on these shows..how to crumbcoat, how to roll and lay fondant, how to make figures...and more and more and more. Add in YouTube to this and I have learned ALOT on tv.

Cat

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #80 of 90

I learned how to make a "wood grain" by putting ropes of several shades of brown; that people seem to think that a really beautiful cake is put together in 30-60 minutes; how to make realistic looking salmon sushi; a lot of "fantastical" cakes are made of pvc pipes, wood and RKTs; and that I really do have a lot more to learn. icon_wink.gif

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #81 of 90

I watch them every day and am awed that they can get so much done in 8 hours! Yeah, with cakes already made, frosting already made, a staff of 10, and boards pre cut to fit perfectly.. I could do that too!! My main gripre is they are showing more personal life, than cake on some of the shows. I WANT CAKE, I DON'T CARE IF YOUR MON IS RETIRING OR YOUR SWIMMING WITH THE ESCOMOS!! LOL

ginger6361 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #82 of 90

And another thing!! Do the people buying these caks realize that 85% of it is RKT and not CAKE?? LOL

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #83 of 90

I've learned that a lot of the cake is wood, rice krispie treat or something else other than cake icon_smile.gif I have learned some tricks and ideas but thought that was funny

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #84 of 90

I've learned a lot of what not to do's more than what to do's... I assisted a friend of mine on a challenge that has yet to air, and I loved it. I can say we learned a lot about the challenges and they are a heck of a lot longer than 8 hours. Not the clock, that was 8 hours, but from getting the phone call, we worked about 20 hours a day for 2 weeks just to get to the set. It was challenge after challenge the whole way there... I have a much different opinion now of the people who seem to be making bizarre choices. We are looking forward to seeing the show air and how we are portrayed!!!

cutthecake Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:10pm
post #85 of 90

aligotmatt,
How exciting! Can you tell us anything else, without revealing any secrets?
When will it air? Who did you assist?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:53pm
post #86 of 90

It airs September 26th, it's Beauty and the Beast, and I competed with Taylor Ross of Sweet Ts Cakes.

cutthecake Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:52pm
post #87 of 90

Can't wait to see it! How will we know which baker is YOU?

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #88 of 90

ive learned more from this site and watching you tube videos (especially those of people from here) and sharon's dvd's than any cake show.
i find the cake shows to be more of reality 'entertainment' shows. i do enjoy watching cake challange. or i did- until the new hostess started. theres something about her that is so annoying. im sure she is a lovely woman, but her voice and the way she talks to the contestants irks me.
ace of cakes: OMG that show makes me crazy. the amount of machinery in a cake shop! and all the trips duff makes to have his staff make a cake. come on!! he, separate from the show is hilarous-his laugh is contagious.
but the shows concept is not for me.
ive never seen an episode of cake boss, although i did attend a cake show where buddy was the guest of honor and judge. he is so friendly and seems like a real person.
cupcake wars??-thats another one that makes no sense to me. again the host is annoying and the judges - its not that serious!
oh god im on a rant!! kinda off the subject of what you learn from tv shows.

maria4869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria4869 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:22am
post #89 of 90

I think the most important thing I have learnt is that even professionals have problems and mistakes happen. I had thought that adding a little flower to cover a crack or dimple was out of the question, but the shows prove that it can be done and made to look like it was planned. This bit of knowledge made my life a whole lot easier as I am way too critical of my work icon_rolleyes.gif

ginger6361 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #90 of 90

I agree with you totally aundrea
Just show the cakes!! Don't turn it into a reality show!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%