Duff's Fondant

Decorating By pinklady1356 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 6:00am by adventuregal

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,

I see some duff fondants at micheals store... I was wondering if they r good or have a bad taste? Which fondants do you recommend?

Thanks

14 replies
thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 15

I have never used Duff's fondant, but there are many threads discussing this issue in the forum section. If you look there I"m sure you will get the answer that your looking for. good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 15

i've never tried Duff's fondant, BUT i LOVE Satin Ice. It taste good and feels real smooth. I started off buying Wilton and it doesn't have a great tast "kind of like cardboard" then I tried FondX and its too sticky for me, (i have real hot hands and i would have to use alot of shortening or powder sugar) then someone on here recommended Satin Ice and I've never looked back! HTH icon_smile.gif

SANDY

pinklady1356 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdelight

i've never tried Duff's fondant, BUT i LOVE . It taste good and feels real smooth. I started off buying Wilton and it doesn't have a great tast "kind of like cardboard" then I tried FondX and its too sticky for me, (i have real hot hands and i would have to use alot of shortening or powder sugar) then someone on here recommended and I've never looked back! HTH icon_smile.gif

SANDY

Thanks Sandy.... I have one more question, Do you make your own buttercream icing? If not do you buy from somewhere.. I see on cake shows they got buckets of icing lol But where do they get it from? icon_biggrin.gif

klkoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkoop Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 15

I have used Duff's fondant before. I have the red fondant that is supposed to taste like buttercream. It is better tasting than Wilton, but nowhere near as good as Satin Ice or Fondarific. Duff's is good if you can't find anything else. Hope that helps! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

pinklady1356 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 15

Can you find that in any store or you have to buy it thru online?

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 15

Duff's brand is Fondarific...so it is the best tasting store bought fondant available. With a Michael's coupon...it is also a bit cheaper to go with Duff's rather than Fondarific. It is one and the same.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 15

I've used Duff's chocolate fondant - mainly because I hate doing brown and it also works as a base for making black. It tastes and smells really good. My only complaint is that it gets really soft. I've only used it for details, never to cover a cake. Also, if you mix it with gumpaste to make any details you have to give it a LONG time to dry (I'm talking one or two days).

klkoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkoop Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 15

Really??!! I have to look on the container. I wasn't aware that Duff's was Fondarific! I have Fondarific that isn't Duff's, so I thought they were two separate brands. I only buy "flavors" in Satin Ice and Fondarific, so obviously not paying attention! LOL!

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 15

PinkLady, I started making my own Buttercream recently (about 2 months ago) But I was buying different brands looking for the right one and never found one until my mom gave me her recipe and thats the one I'm using because it crust real good and it comes out real smooth, its like velvety, smooth and not to sweet (don't ask how its not too sweet cause it uses about 1lb of powder sugar...? )

Wilton was the one I stuck with most because how smooth I was able to get it, but I bought some from CK Products. There's alot of GREAT recipes here in CC for buttercream if you don't want to buy it. OH, if you decide to buy btrcrm keep the buckets to store your fillings and any btrcrm that you do make from scratch.... I have tons of buckets, and now I'm loving it cause they seal airtight and i know exactly that that is the only thing thats in there... HTH icon_smile.gif

SANDY

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 15

I have Duff's black & hot pink. They are very tasty and easy to work with. I would recommend them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:48am
post #12 of 15

I have found that Duff's/Fondarific is great for covering cakes. I wonder if the reason why we like different purchased fondants is due to humidity, temp in kitchen, temp of hands, and personal technique. There seems to be no consensus except for the superstar recipes made from scratch. My house is cold, about 68 degrees, and I don't have the softness problem with Duff/Fondarific. The scratch recipes may work for so many because they are adjusted in the process.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by klkoop

Really??!! I have to look on the container. I wasn't aware that Duff's was Fondarific! I have Fondarific that isn't Duff's, so I thought they were two separate brands. I only buy "flavors" in and Fondarific, so obviously not paying attention! LOL!

The retail product (at Michael's) of Duff's fondant is made by Fondarific.

The commercial Duff product (through a supplier) is made by Satin Ice.

There was a Fondarific rep who confirmed that info on one of these Duff fondant threads floating around CC. icon_smile.gif

I ordered samples straight from Fondarific (instead of buying an entire bucket of Duff's) just to taste test and texture test. It's SUPER pliable and a touch oily if too warm. The chocolate is really tasty.

I would definitely cover a cake with Duff's, but not make any figures with it.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #14 of 15

don't get sucked in to the blue being blue, it's more a teal-ish turquoise color... nothing like the color on the bucket, it's pretty... but not true blue.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:00am
post #15 of 15

I personally like Duffs fondant ALOT. It's easy to get and with the 40 or 50 percent off coupon it's pretty cheap. I don't like it as much for covering cakes as I do for constructing details. Lately I've been using it for all my animals, people, and anything else icon_smile.gif As for the taste I was pleasantly surprised-it's a lightly sweet BC flavor. I'd tried Wilton in the past and thought it was funky (though I've heard its gotten better). I've also made MMF and never thought it had much of a flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%