Tips On Handling Cake?

Decorating By EvArt Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm by EvArt

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All. I like using the Duncan Hynes cake mixes. I rarely have a dry cake. However, the cake is not really strong enough to pick up or manipulate; it just falls apart. I see on some of the cake shows that they freeze the cakes before handling them? Is this what they do before they carve cakes? Cause on TV you can hear the cutting of a cake like cutting through a nice crisp loaf of bread. Or is it because the cake is frozen?

4 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

It is much easier handling/carving cakes when they are frozen. If you would like a denser cake then check out the WASC recipe in the recipe section - I only use Duncan Hines for these recipes and they are incredibly good!

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 5

If you are going to carve, it is definitely easier to freeze before working on the cake. Even if it is for a brief period of time (a couple of hours). If you are wanting to stick with your current recipe, you can use your same mix without changing to a WASC.

You can do:

1 box of mix (of your choice)
4 eggs
3/4 cup water (or liquid of choice)
1/2 cup oil
1 small box of instant pudding (in a complementing flavor)

This will make a denser cake without converting the box into a WASC variation.

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 5

I always freeze my cakes, and then put together when they are thawed, but still cold. I have much less breakage this way.

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 5

TrixieTreats - I did change my recipe to the pound cake this time. Directions were on the box. Hope it works better.

Thank you ladies. i appreciate the input greatly. I am self taught and found that people love my cakes and keep asking for them, so I have to find these tricks to making the job easier. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%