Stacking A Twi Tier Fondant Cake, Question!

Decorating By chickchock Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 7:06am by chocolatestone

chickchock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickchock Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

So I've just educated myself about the use of dowells/ straws and cardboard bases when stacking a two tiered cake, but I still have one question: I am making a fondant covered cake, so do I completely cover the bottom layer in fondant, and if so, how do I stop that fondant icing peeling off when the two tiers are seperated for cutting? Would a simple dusting of icing sugar on the bottom of the cardboard circle for the top layer be enough? Or is there something else I need to be doing?

Thanks.

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 7

You really wont have anything to worry about. Cover both tiers and then stack them. In the time it takes for you to cover the top tier and decorate it after you have covered the bottom tier and decorated it the fondant will have set up and no longer be prone to sticking to other fondant. You can give yourself a little insurance by sprinkling powdered sugar just where the top tier will sit but I just did this on Saturday and the two didn't stick at all....and I didn't use the powdered sugar in between.

Cat

chickchock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickchock Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:44am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Cat, and thanks for the reply to my other question too icon_smile.gif I think I'm all set then for attempting this two tiered cake! woo hoo! x x

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:07am
post #4 of 7

I cut a piece of wax paper the same size as the 'resting' tier and place that between the bottom cake and the tier that sits on it. This prevents it from sticking or becoming 'tacky'.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:43am
post #5 of 7

If I'm transporting two-tier fondant cakes do I still need to put a dowel through the cakes for support. I was thinking of putting a long dowel and just removing it at the venue. Will this work?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 7

It's a nice back up, not totally necessary for a shorter cake but it can certainly help.

Cat

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:06am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Cat icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%