How To Start A Supply Store In Mass?

Business By KsCakes09 Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm by KsCakes09

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsCakes09

Chelle- yes I have been to that store too, mostly for my non edible supplies. haven't been to Lorraine's (its a little far) but their online site looks nice.

What is it that you can't find in those stores & you have to buy online? It seems like that the problem for a lot of people. I'm just curious if its similar items.

I suppose as long as your selling the supplies (online) then having the inventory cost will equal out & not be a burdon, the start up cost will be what is really going to be the big investment. I think with that its about the storage space to keep it all in. I'm sure you would need some sort of warehouse (depending on how much you need to keep on hand).

Yeah, with the exception of the Satin Ice fondant, I don't buy anything edible at Party Cake. Their fondant inventory gets turned over pretty well, so I'm comfortable buying that.

It's mostly patchwork cutters, flower cutters and flower/leaf veiners that I tend to buy online.

~Chelle

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm
post #32 of 36

I agree, if it has a fast turn around its ok. I've bought chocolate there before & it had such a musty odor (& taste) I had to throw it away.

thanks for the info on the cutters & veiners (I love that stuff too).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #33 of 36

Out side of the items I buy at Michaels/Hobby Lobby, I probably buy 95% of my cake stuff at the ICES convention. Why? Because I like to hold it in my hand before buying it. I like to see the size of the cutters and veiners because while they may look big in a picture (and even had the deminsions) it doesn't always look that big in person. That way I know I am getting exactly what I want.

Another thing is I like to see things in action. I want to see that they really do what they say, and not just see pictures or read about what they do. icon_smile.gif

I will buy things online if I need it before going to the convention, can't find it there or such.

I'm not a big online shopper for many things, because again I want to see it first before I buy it.

KsCakes09 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:23pm
post #34 of 36

I'm with you..........I love to see how things work before buying them. I don't tipically buy things online whether it be clothes, cake supplies or anthing else..unless I'm absolutely sure that's what I want. I'm a hands on person also.
I haven't been to an ICES convention yet, but would love to make it to one some day.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #35 of 36

It's going to be in Charlotte, NC in 2011. It's not too bad of a drive if you like driving, lol. A few of my friends and I are going together. The other advantage to driving is you don't have to ship all the stuff home that you bought if it doesn't fit in your luggage, lol.

2013 will be Lexington, KY which I think is marginally closer than NC is.

~Chelle

KsCakes09 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #36 of 36

I'm definitely going to mark that on my calendar. I hate to fly so we usually drive everywhere, so that would be a piece of cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%