Wedding Cake Travel

Decorating By MegsyB Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm by minicuppie

MegsyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegsyB Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I have an upcoming wedding cake to make and I'm asking for advice from those who know what they are doing more than I do!
This cake is a stacked 16" base with 12" and 8" layers on top. Because of the sizes, I know it will be really heavy, so I'm considering delivering it to the reception site in separate layers and then setting it up there. It seems too heavy to travel with it stacked (and a little dangerous, too icon_smile.gif But I also do not want to set them up at the reception and have them crack. The decor is very simple and I can do it at the site, but I'm just wondering about transport.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! It's coming up soon and I"m getting very nervous! Thanks!
Meg

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 4

If you construct the cake with good, sturdy products and use a good support system, it should not crack.
IMO the most important part of sturdy construction is the base of each tier. (thick cardboard or plastic plates is what I'm talking about!)
If the cake is all that heavy and you have cracking issues, I would go with the hard plastic bases and use a proper number of wooden dowels.
Here is a great link for all sorts of sound advice.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

cutelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutelove Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 4

minicuppie I made a wedding cake this weekend and I had cracks and a bolge I used wilton buttercream and I put them on a cardboard and I used tea straws so my problem was the board I put them on or should I have used another buttercream

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 4

Sometimes the cardboard will absorb moisture from the cake/icing and destabilize, leaving the cake at a huge risk to crack.
My advice is to either double (or triple) up on the cardboard (glue them together, no staples!), use plastic plates or invest in a good structure system.
I know leah_s uses one of the systems available, maybe she can chime in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%