Can I Use Crystal Color Dust To Color Fondant Or Gumpaste??

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 1:00am by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 9

I am trying to find a good plum color and what I have found is Plum Crystal Color Dust as seen here:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22564&name=Plum%20Crystal%20Color%20Dust

I have read a bit about it and it says it can be used to color buttercream and so on but mentions nothing about fondant or gum-paste I am curious if it can be used for this?
It only comes in a small amount so I am not sure if this means you only need a very little or how it works if anyone has any experience with this product and can help me out that would be great!!

8 replies
Aimomo26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #2 of 9

I would think so - I usually paint my colors on I think its easier to control what colors you get that way. Just make sure you thin it out with some vodka to make more of a "paint" (the alcohol will evaporate - you won't taste it)

Good luck! Its a very pretty color!

luvbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 9

I was wondering more about mixing the powder in the fondant/gumpaste to get the desired color. I suppose I should of clarified that... sorry icon_redface.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #4 of 9

You can do it, but you need a whole bunch to make a dark color.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 9

Oh ok... Thank you.

Aimomo26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 9

ha OHH i see icon_smile.gif Let me know how it turns out I would like to try it!

luvbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #7 of 9

I will for sure if I try. Would it be better to just use the violet and Christmas red combination that is recommended for making plum??

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:48am
post #8 of 9

Unless you have a lot of the color, I would try mixing a SMALL amount with the gels and see what happens.

Jen icon_smile.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:00am
post #9 of 9

Well I was going to order some of the Crystal Dust. I am not sure how much I would need or if it would even be worth it as it is more expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%