Help Or Advice For Making Ganache As Filling And Icing??

Decorating By lucy18 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 8:09am by sweettreat101

lucy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy18 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

I appreciate all and any help, suggestions and advice ....

This will be my 1st time making ganache..I need to make it as a filling and then as an icing...WHY THE HELL AM I SO SCARED???

for some reason making this makes me get butterflies in my stomach...can anyone help??

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 7

Do you want a pourable ganche or a whipped ganache? I have used both. If I am using ganache under fondant I use one bag semi sweet chocolate chips and 7 ounces of cream. If I am using a whipped ganache I use one bag chocolate chips, 3/4 to 1 cup of cream, 2 tablespoons butter and a splash of vanilla. Make your ganache and whip it with your mixer. Yummy.

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 7

thanks sweettreat101 i was also having the same issue icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 7

I use 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate, 1 cup heavy cream and I never whip. I let it sit overnight and spread on my cake like I would icing then let it firm up and smooth using the hot knife method.

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:03am
post #5 of 7

If I plan on using the ganache under fondant I let it sit out overnight. If I plan on using it for a filling I whip the heck out of it with a mixer. Turns almost mousse like. Mamarobin you should try whipping it for fillings so good.

lucy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy18 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 7

Ok so all of you are making it sound so easy...whewww...can you come here and watch me...lol..lol..

I have been doing so much reading about ganache that it is making me more confused!!!....

I will be using it as a filling and as an icing for a chocolate cake.

so the filling I should whip it??...

and for the icing let it sit out to cool and then spread it?

can I ice it and then pour some on top to have it dripping in chocolate??

I am sorry if...just a lil unsure of myself!!

sweettreat101 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:09am
post #7 of 7

Are you planning on using pourable ganache where you pour the ganache over the entire cake to cover or are you planning on frosting the cake with ganache as you would butter cream? If you are planning on icing the cake yes make your ganache cover it with plastic and let it sit out on the counter overnight. If you are planning on using it as a filling use the recipe I posted using one cup of cream and whip until mousse like unless you just want a thin ganache layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%