Funny Story - In Line Overhead "wedding Cake Due Tommor

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm by eve81

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 24

10:00 AM today, I was shopping at D&G (my favorite cake store ever in Orlando) and I hear this lady say "will a 10", 8" 6" cake be enough to serve 60 people for a wedding?" The person working there pulls out a chart.

I look over at them chatting and I see she has some supplies:
1 each cake pan - 10", 8" 6"
(3) round cardboard cake boards
a tub of icing
(2) wooden dowels
Ribbon

Then I hear the following conversation:
lady at the register: "when is the cake due?"
puchaser: "tomorrow"
lady at the register: "have you ever made a tiered cake before"
puchaser: "no"

She is going to become very religious later today. I can hear her saying "please, God, please, God"

23 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 24

Oh crap!

Whadda ya bet she posts an urgent HELP ME!! thread on CC today?

Kidding. maybe. icon_lol.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 24

If not here, then on Wilton's wedding cake forum! icon_eek.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 24

...Courtesy of all those cake shows that make people think it so easy!

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 24

She's going to be baking all afternoon if she only bought one of each pan!! Plus with a 10" I use a heating core or large flower nail....hopefully she thinks of that! Should be interesting!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 24

LOL, Wouldn't you like to know the outcome of that experience?

Echooo3 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 24

Actually, I would love to help them, I would love to be in their kitchen to guide them. They are going to have so many issues and it's going to be an all nighter.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 24

hmmmm, i wonder which layer/half is going to get the TWO DOWELS?

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Actually, I would love to help them, I would love to be in their kitchen to guide them. They are going to have so many issues and it's going to be an all nighter.

Yeah, knowing my own experiences with learning, it does make me cringe to think how stressed she'll be. I know cake muggles are frustrating, but you do hate to see someone step in front of the train...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 24

Honestly, why do people do that? She admittedly has NO experience and yet she's jumping in with both feet on someones WEDDING DAY!! icon_eek.gif I mean, helloooooo, that is NOT the day to start practicing! icon_confused.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 24

I cringe every time I read a story like this. I've been doing this a long time, and there are STILL (many!) days that I'm totally stressed out! I probably would have walked over, handed her my business card, and said, "You'll need this in a few hours. Call me."

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I cringe every time I read a story like this. I've been doing this a long time, and there are STILL (many!) days that I'm totally stressed out! I probably would have walked over, handed her my business card, and said, "You'll need this in a few hours. Call me."

LOL I've done that. My heart goes out to all those people who think "how hard can it be?" Why I wonder do cake decorators keep on taking classes if it's not that hard? I've been doing this for some 20yrs, guess what class I start next week LOL.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

LOL I've done that. My heart goes out to all those people who think "how hard can it be?" Why I wonder do cake decorators keep on taking classes if it's not that hard? I've been doing this for some 20yrs, guess what class I start next week LOL.

Exactly!! The very first thing I tell my beginner students is "the first thing you will learn in this class is that cake decorating is a LOT harder than it looks!" icon_biggrin.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Then YOU'D be the stressed one!!! Unless you have tiers in your freezer, even a professional would be up half the night with this one!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 24

I agree with the cake shows making this seem like a breeze. It doesn't help that the Cricut Cake promotions lead the general public to believe they can do it all in 1-2 hours.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 24

See CakeWrecks on Monday.....poor bride!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 24

My first tiered cake was sooooooo stressful!!

I still have people call me from the Michael's store I taught at (my mom is still a cashier there and calls me from the checkout when people have cake questions). I LOVE to help them....because it really is not healthy to be THAT stressed (or UNAWARE).

My cell phone number I think is still posted for the other checkout people.

Yeah...the whole "what are the dowels for" is a great starter question.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:14pm
post #18 of 24

[quote.

Yeah...the whole "what are the dowels for" is a great starter question.[/quote]

LOL I gotta call once from a friend......it would seem she baked her cakes, iced them, then just put 1 cake on top of the other and called me to see why the tiers were all sinking into each other. I asked her what type of support system she used...reponse "what support system...what are you talking about?"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:10am
post #19 of 24

you know that windex commercial where the birds are laughing at people and dogs who walk into the clear glass door?

Well .... that commercial just popped into my head as I envisioned this poor woman struggling with these cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

Echooo3 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:18am
post #20 of 24

Oh, indydeb, surely they have hit a wall. But my heart hopes they were able to pull something fairly decent off.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:32pm
post #21 of 24

I work in a cake decorating supply store. If I had $1 (inflation you know, lol) for every person who walked in asking for help/info on making a tiered cake with absolutely NO EXPERIENCE IN BAKING, I would be retired! A lady came in a few weeks ago and stated. "My daughter wants me to make a topsy turvey cake for her grad party, and I don't bake. Am I out of my mind to try this?" And she was just one of many. Thank you FTV, TLC and WE!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

A lady came in a few weeks ago and stated. "My daughter wants me to make a topsy turvey cake for her grad party, and I don't bake. Am I out of my mind to try this?"

Did you say yes, or did you lie? icon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:52pm
post #23 of 24

JGMB.. I told her YES! She wound up doing a more straightforward tiered cake, after I spent almost an HOUR helping her with that! I would sooooo love to say, I will help you with anything. Lessons start at $60/hour.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguerrant

hmmmm, i wonder which layer/half is going to get the TWO DOWELS?

one for each supporting tier ......icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%