Mail A Fondant Decal Only (Not A Cookie Or Cake)?

Decorating By Jynuine Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 2:18am by ptanyer

Jynuine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jynuine Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:37am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!
I read your 'How do I mail a cake' Threads- but my issue is a little more technical since this is a fondant emblem of sorts, not an actual cake or solid cookie.

Im sending my best friend a flat fondant rollerskate emblem to put on top of a cake for her daughter's birthday since I can't be there, but Im at a loss as how to send it from Oregon to California.

I was thinking maybe to put it (it's wrapped in plastic wrap) in between 2 stiff pieces of cardboard and mail it via a bubblewrap first class letter? Or should I still overnight it? It's about a foot long and Im most worried about it bending or sliding and scruntching.... thanks for your help!

6 replies
pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:53am
post #2 of 7

I have ordered toppers through the mail (more 3d than flat) and they wrapped them in bubblewrap, put them in a polystyrene box and then filled the box with packing peanuts. Everything arrived in perfect shape.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:21am
post #3 of 7

I would definitely pack it in a box, not an envelope. Doesn't matter how you have the envelope marked hey still tend to be bent to "fit" wherever it needs too.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 7

I have done this before with a more complicated pattern. The first shipment got broken all to pieces and ended up looking more like a mosaic rather than a decoration for a cake icon_sad.gif But I was determined to make it work! So I remade all the decorations and then got down to figuring out a way to ship them without breakage...

I purchased foam core, craft foam sheets, and glue for foam products from a hobby store, and then little foam squares from the scrapbooking section at the same store.

I laid out my design and measured it and added 1" to each side. Then cut out foam core to that measurement. Then I cut out 1" strips to fit all the sides (like a photo frame) and glued it all together. I lined the "frame" with the craft foam sheet cut to size and glued into place. Then I centerd my design in the "frame" and used the little squares to hold each piece of the design in place. As I worked on securing it in place, I would shake the frame to make sure each piece held in place.

Once completed, I cut another foam sheet and placed on top of the design. Then cut a piece of foam core the same size as the first piece I cut and laid it on top of it all and taped all the sides all the way around. Then I packaged it in a sturdy box filled with bubble wrap and mailed it (insured this time), priority mail.

It went from NC to Texas and not one piece broke this time. I am attaching photos to show how it looked during the process.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

HTH's
Pam

Edited to add: I can't get my photos to attach, will keep trying.

ptanyer Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, but no matter what I do, I can't get the photos to post icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:58am
post #6 of 7

What a great idea, ptanyer.

ptanyer Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #7 of 7

Thanks icon_smile.gif I still can't get the photos to load, but I found a thread where I had posted a couple of photos of the same design. It's on page 13 about 1/2 way down:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=640768&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=180.

Hope that helps!
Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%