Need Help Now , Please !!!

Decorating By grama_j Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm by ninatat

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 6

I'm finishing up a wedding cake for tomorrow..... yesterday I decorated the bottom two tiers...... White cake, black ribbon at the base, with pearl border...... the bottom tier is GREAT...... the next tier...... OMG !! The black ribbon is RUNNING and turning the pearls and icing under them BLACK.......... Is there ANYTHING you can think of that I can do to save this cake ? I know I can take the pearls off and put a new layer of icing and pearls........ WHAT a PAIN, and it really won't match the others, but I wanted to wait and see if it is ALL going to run, or just parts..... MAYBE I won't have to redo the entire thing....... ANY help would be appreciated..... THANKS !

5 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 6

one think i've read on here is people take double stick tape and attach it to the ribbon, then stick, saran wrap, wax paper, against the double stick then attach it, hope this helps. good luck

panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 6

If you have more ribbon, place it between sheets of wax paper and iron it. The wax makes it grease proof. I do all my ribbon cakes this way. I also try and put them on the day of delivery so they are sitting on the cake for less time.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 6

If using food-safe ribbon, will that keep it from running?

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 6

I hope I understand you correctly. I used freezer paper (found in the aisle with wax paper and foil)...cut it to the exact width of the ribbon and put that on the cake first, with the waxy side of the paper to the buttercream, then put the ribbon directly on top of that. You don't need to iron it or anything. I wrapped it around the cake and poked a corsage pin in to secure it, then put the satin ribbon around that and poked another pin in and then removed the first pin.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 6

hi all, i wouldn't put any kind of pin in a cake you can secure it with ri. fabric stores also carry color safe ribbon that doesn't run, you'll have to ask which one's they are, if it's satin ribbon ironing it will change the color with wax paper and the bc will make it different shades, i like the double tape method

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%