Zambito Dvd Disaster

Decorating By bakencake Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm by Maria_Campos

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 30

I read here that her DVDs are awesome so I bought Back to Basics. Loved it, got great tips out of it and decided to slowly build my collection of all her DVD's (slowly because they are a bit pricey for me). I bought her Boxes and Bows collection (2 part DVD) but to my disappointment the first DVD does not work. Yesterday I sent her a letter explaining this to her but she has not written back. I hope that she does not want me to ship her the DVD with my own money since I already payed $8.50 for shipping. My question is this has anybody had problems with her DVD's and if so are they good about correcting it? I still want the rest of her DVD's so I hope that this works out.

29 replies
bakencake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 30

the second part of the DVD (the one that worked) was great and I did learn alot.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 30

Have you tried cleaning the DVD to see if there's any dirt on it that is preventing it from working? A basic question, I know; just thought I'd toss it out there.

I'm betting that she'll simply send you another one. I know the ICES convention is set for this weekend, maybe she's getting ready to teach some classes there and is so swamped that she'll need to wait until next Monday to get back to you. She's been such a sweetheart here that I'm sure she'll make it right for you as soon as she possibly can.

icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 30

Yep. Sharon and her crew are at ICES this weekend. I'm certain that upon her return, she'll take care of you lickety split. icon_smile.gif

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 30

I know certain DVD players will not play her DVD's I have the Sheet Cake DVD and my player will play the first one but not the second. I keep forgetting to try it on my computer. Her buttercream one will not play on my DVD player either. I do love her DVD's and learn a lot.

I know she is super busy with ICES right now but does return emails when she gets a chance. She is a super nice lady.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 30

I have 3 of her DVD's have have not had any problems. I would be VERY suprised if she didn't get back to you with satisfactory results. She is an honest straightforward business woman.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 30

Lisa Marie, OMG I had the same exact problem with the sheet cake dvd! The first one didn't work, the second one was fine. But they both work on another dvd player that we have upstairs.
I don't know what causes this problem, but it makes me very worried about buying her other dvds, which is a shame, because they are sooooooo helpful.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 30

I think it's the format that the DVD's are copied/burned in. I have 4 of her DVD's and they only play in one of my dvd players at home. My brother burns some cd's for me on his computer and the format that he uses only allows me to see them in that same dvd player. I'm sure they will take care of you. I have never received anything but great costumer service from them. icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 30

I know it's a pain when something you've waited for doesn't work lol, but if you're patient, I know Sharon will take care of this as soon as she's able.

LisaMarie86 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Lisa Marie, OMG I had the same exact problem with the sheet cake dvd! The first one didn't work, the second one was fine. But they both work on another dvd player that we have upstairs.
I don't know what causes this problem, but it makes me very worried about buying her other dvds, which is a shame, because they are sooooooo helpful.

They work on my laptop and my moms so I am not worried about buying any more of her DVD's although I do have them all so don't have to worry about it until she comes out with more. They appear to work on my old school portable DVD player that Ive had for years.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 30

We've had that problem with some dvd's we've purchased before. they work on the $30 Wal-mart DVD player but not the expensive DVD player with the sound system.

bakencake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 30

thank you sooo much for your reply!! Makes me feel better to know that im not the only one. I will try to play it on my computer. I do love her DVD's.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 30

I don't have any of the DVDs, but just from reading these comments, have any of you contacted Sharon to let her know her DVDS don't work on all DVD players?
Just curious, cause maybe she has no idea theres been any problems.

bakencake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 30

Just tried several computers and the DVD didn't work there either. Will keep you guys posted.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 30

I have all her DVDs and only once, on the sheetcake DVD did I have a problem with the second disc. I wrote her and she immediately replaced it and even though I offered to send her the defective disc back at my own expense she said no, that's not necessary. She is at ICES this weekend so she probably won't be getting back to you until next week sometime, but don't hold that against her, she has the best customer service in the business! icon_biggrin.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #16 of 30

I have several of Sharon's DVD and absolutely love them. As soon as I can, I am going to buy her Boxes and Bows dvd also.

I bought a DVD from someone else and it wouldn't play on the computer or one of my dvd players, but it played in a tv/dvd combo I have. I'm sure it is a formatting issue. Just bad timing with ICES going on right now. She'll get back with you.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 30

I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about. Just give her a chance to get back to you. She's been nothing but helpful to me. I love all of her DVDs. They are the best I've ever purchased for the quality and the information and instruction given. I just got the sheet cake DVD about 3 weeks ago, at first it said it wouldn't play, so I took it out wiped it off, put it back in and it worked.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 30

Sharon has this posted on her website - WE WILL BE CLOSED AUGUST 10-17 While Attending the ICES Convention. SHIPPING WILL RESUME AUGUST 18

I ordered a DVD from her while she was out of town last month. It was shipped the day after she returned. Much faster than I expected. And, I agree, she's a straight up, honest lady. You'll find her here answering questions too!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #19 of 30

I received one once that didn't work and she immediately sent out another one. I'm sure she'll respond as soon as she gets back. I have always received excellent customer service.

bakencake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #20 of 30

Arriva-let me tell you!! The Boxes and Bows DVD is awesome!!!! At least the second part icon_cry.gif since i cant see the first
deah-thank you for posting the dates. I hate to wait that long to see this DVD icon_mad.gif but will try some of our neighbors houses and see if I can sneak in and use their equipment.
momg9-Everyone here has said the same thing about her costumer service. so my mind is at ease I just wished her videos worked a little better.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #21 of 30

Hi everybody! I just got back from ICES and saw this! So sorry about the trouble some of you are having.

Here is the scoop:

DVD duplicating and formatting of DVD players is not standardized within the industry. That means all DVD players will not be compatible with all forms of DVD duplication. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict which player will or will not be compatible with a particular type of duplication.

That means that sometimes the dics won't play in a certain player, but the discs are not necessarily faulty. When this happens, we immediately replace the disc, and that resolves the problem.

It can be a frustrating problem for both the customer and me, because you spend hard earned money and expect a quality product that works. I stand behind my products and guarantee satisfaction with the performance of the dics. If you have any compatibility problems at any time, contact me and I will make it right. I promise you that. And we will never charge you for return or replacement shipping on a bad disc.

Please note that the incompatibity issue does not affect the quality of the video visually. Our videos are shot with 3 cameras and we use high level technology in mixing and editing. If you have any problems with visual clearness, please contact us.

We are proud to provide you with some of the best quality instructional dvds on the market, in both content and production.

And I thank you all for your loyalty and support of our products!~ MWAH

(PS. We are in the process of researching all/other duplication processes to see if we can increase the compatibility percentage. I want you guys to be 100% happy.)

LisaMarie86 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Hi everybody! I just got back from ICES and saw this! So sorry about the trouble some of you are having.

Here is the scoop:

DVD duplicating and formatting of DVD players is not standardized within the industry. That means all DVD players will not be compatible with all forms of DVD duplication. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict which player will or will not be compatible with a particular type of duplication.

That means that sometimes the dics won't play in a certain player, but the discs are not necessarily faulty. When this happens, we immediately replace the disc, and that resolves the problem.

It can be a frustrating problem for both the customer and me, because you spend hard earned money and expect a quality product that works. I stand behind my products and guarantee satisfaction with the performance of the dics. If you have any compatibility problems at any time, contact me and I will make it right. I promise you that. And we will never charge you for return or replacement shipping on a bad disc.

Please note that the incompatibity issue does not affect the quality of the video visually. Our videos are shot with 3 cameras and we use high level technology in mixing and editing. If you have any problems with visual clearness, please contact us.

We are proud to provide you with some of the best quality instructional dvds on the market, in both content and production.

And I thank you all for your loyalty and support of our products!~ MWAH

(PS. We are in the process of researching all/other duplication processes to see if we can increase the compatibility percentage. I want you guys to be 100% happy.)

This is why I love you Sharon you stand behind your product 100% and you make things right. You making caking way more fun for me!!!

cakeythings1961 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #23 of 30

Thank you, Sharon, for letting us know the situation. As long as they work on one of my dvd players, I'm cool with that! Your instructional info and demonstrations have been so helpful to me, I'm sure they've save me years of trial and error. I'm only missing 2 of your titles, and believe me, they are going on my Christmas list.

btw, if you're looking for ideas for new titles, I'd really like to see a dvd that covers piping....I try to practice a little everyday, but I'd sure like to see how you do things!!
Thanks,
Laura

bakencake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

I stand behind my products and guarantee satisfaction with the performance of the dics. If you have any compatibility problems at any time, contact me and I will make it right. I promise you that. And we will never charge you for return or replacement shipping on a bad disc.

I just want to say that she lives true to this promise. I just got a note from her saying that a new DVD was on the way.
Thank you Sharon!!!
I appreciate you taking your time to write.
I still have a few DVD's that im definitely going to buy, specially since I know that if there is a problem you will graciously take care of it. No fuss!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:59pm
post #25 of 30

Thank you all for being patient and understanding. We will always make it right, and as I mentioned, we are looking at other duplication proceses to see if we can improve this issue.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #26 of 30

This post is a good example of why it's appropriate to give venders an opportunity to respond to you before you publicly complain and cast doubt in others' minds about their product. It was very unfair to do that.

I knew when I read the post that Sharon would stand by her product. You needed to give her a reasonable chance to address it. Sending an e-mail yesterday and complaining today is not reasonable.

cakeythings1961 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

This post is a good example of why it's appropriate to give venders an opportunity to respond to you before you publicly complain and cast doubt in others' minds about their product. It was very unfair to do that.

The OP was not complaining, she was asking a question because she didn't know how to proceed. The rest of us were comparing notes. All of this was completely appropriate for a forum such as CC.

bakencake Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #28 of 30

I really was not complaining and really dint want to give her a bad reputation I was just wondering what to do since I didnt hear from her. I just want to let everyone know that I was so happy with the way things turned out that I ordered a new DVD yesterday.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

I really was not complaining and really dint want to give her a bad reputation I was just wondering what to do since I didnt hear from her. I just want to let everyone know that I was so happy with the way things turned out that I ordered a new DVD yesterday.

then maybe change the title to not say disaster?

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #30 of 30

I agree with mbark, I was a little scared for Sharon when I saw Disaster and Sharon name on teh same line, I have a whoel library of her DVDs and not one problem with one, love me some SugarEd!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%