Kroger Cake Mix -What Do You Think

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 3:20pm by cakerificcat

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 6

Kroger now has cake mixes. .88/box here, which is .30-.40 cheaper than the other mixes. Has anyone tried it?

It seemed to bake up more quickly than I expected so it ended up kind of dry and overcooked. I haven't had a chance to try again.

Anyone else have any opinions?

Thanks!

5 replies
kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

Haven't tried them but I know at Wal-mart I get betty crocker for only 94cents a box so not worth the difference to me for the risk. I will say though that we do eat quite a bit of Kroger brand items and they are usually good.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

I found some Kroger Yellow cake mix on manager's special for .49 a few months back. I bought all that were there knowing I had a couple of family events to bring cake to and yellow is a favorite. I doctored it like I usually do and it was excellent. I haven't baked a non-doctored mix in years so I can't tell you how it would compare not being doctored.

Cryssy95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cryssy95 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 6

I have tried the cheaper mixes and did not like them at all. I always get Betty Crocker or Pillsbury. The cheaper ones are always dry.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 6

I bought some at Aldi last weekend, I'm still waiting to try them though.

cakerificcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerificcat Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 6

Apersonally i love them. i tweek them a little and they are perfect for me. i defenatly think you should try them again. and be creative. i use milk instead of water, butter sticks instead of oil, and sometimes depending on what im making i will use fresh fruit and throw them right in the mix. my version of berry coffee cake. its scrumptous and everyone seems to go crazy over them. Go Kroger! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%