Lemon Meringue Buttercream??

Baking By lisamaria Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm by lisamaria

lisamaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamaria Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 7

Question: Last night I had dessert at a restaurant and my friend had this lemon cake. I tasted it and the cake was plain...the icing is what was lemon. I could tell that this was not a usual buttercream. I am betting it is a meringue type...I would like to try to duplicate it (that is always my challenge). So what I would like to know is...would I make a meringue buttercream and just add lemon flavoring?? What do you think?

6 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 7

perhaps swiss meringue buttercream (or italian meringue buttercream) flavored with lemon curd.
diane

lisamaria Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #3 of 7

I never had lemon curd, but that is what the recipes I found said. I can't just use lemon extract and zest??? I never made a meringue buttercream before.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 7

to me, lemon extract does not work well. i normally love lemon extract, but was really yucked out by the way in tastes in buttercreams.
lemon zest would not give you the amount of flavor needed in a smbc/imbc.

you will have leftover egg yolks from the bc, so it is fairly handy to make the curd from there. curd is easy, but it does take a bit of time constantly stirring. when i don't have the time, i have used Dickinson's lemon (and lime too!) curd in my buttercream. i use 1/4 cup curd to 4 sticks butter/5 egg whites/1 1/4 cups sugar/dash of salt. if you want more lemon taste, you can add up to 2 more tablespoons of curd.

diane

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 7

When I make lemon buttercream I subsitute lemon JUICE for most if not all the liquid in the recipe. It's tart, tangy and deeeelcious!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 7

I mix store brought lemon curd (MacKay's brand, sold near the jam & preserves) into SMBC, DELICIOUS and easy.

lisamaria Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for your help. The lemon taste was very subtle in the frosting on the cake. I am not an expert on IMBC, so thanks. I really want to make it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%