Fondant Mat

Decorating By meenu Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 2:21am by MELI_CAKES

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 7

What can I use in place of a Fondant Mat? I'm looking for something inexpensive to serve the same purpose.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 7

Buy a yard of clear vinyl, the kind that's sold on a giant roll in the fabric department. A yard costs about three dollars and makes several good-sized mats. You'll have to store it rolled rather than folded, but it's great for fondant work...nothing sticks to it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 7

I also buy the vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart for $2.22 a yard. It also comes in different gauges..I like the thinner one so that I can flip the whole thing over onto my cake if it's a very large cake and prevent tearing. I've bought all three gauges but like the thinner one the best. If the vinyl gets creases or wrinkles in it you can heat it with a blow dryer and they fall right out.

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your response!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I also buy the vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart for $2.22 a yard. It also comes in different gauges..I like the thinner one so that I can flip the whole thing over onto my cake if it's a very large cake and prevent tearing. I've bought all three gauges but like the thinner one the best. If the vinyl gets creases or wrinkles in it you can heat it with a blow dryer and they fall right out.

I've seen you post about this before mamawrobbin and it sounded like a great idea. So I went out and bought some. LOVE IT! It's all I use now. Mine's on the thicker side though, so maybe I'll go buy some thinner stuff so I can try flipping it over on my cake. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the tip!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 7

[quote="debbief"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I also buy the vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart for $2.22 a yard. It also comes in different gauges..I like the thinner one so that I can flip the whole thing over onto my cake if it's a very large cake and prevent tearing. I've bought all three gauges but like the thinner one the best. If the vinyl gets creases or wrinkles in it you can heat it with a blow dryer and they fall right out.[/quote

I've seen you post about this before mamawrobbin and it sounded like a great idea. So I went out and bought some. LOVE IT! It's all I use now. Mine's on the thicker side though, so maybe I'll go buy some thinner stuff so I can try flipping it over on my cake. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the tip!!!

thumbs_up.gif

You're welcome thumbs_up.gif

MELI_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELI_CAKES Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 7

Really? It won't stick to the fondant? That's awesome. I've been using a silicon mat but it's got some slitls in it from my exacto knife when I cut out shapes and such so it needs to be replaced soon. The mat cost me $10 ( an only because I found one that was mismarked) so $3 is right up my alley !

I use shortening on my mat instead of powdered sugar or cornstarch, switching to vinyl should affect this right ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%