I Cant Seem To Make My Choco Ganache Have That Mirror Look

Business By Buttercream_warrior Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 11:32am by loriemoms

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 6

i really need help getting my chocolate ganache to have that mirror look and also how do you acheive that smooth glossyness?? mine always looks like i just poured it on so it comes off messy! any help would be soooooo appreciated!! icon_redface.gif

5 replies
cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 6

Is it that it is just not glossy, not smooth, or both?

To get a glossy look all you need to do is add some corn syrup.

If it is not smooth sounds like the chocolate is not completely melted (assuming it is still in the form of a glaze). If it is more icing consistency then it is a matter of smoothing techniques.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 6

First idea:
A while back someone posted a recipe which I saved. I can't remember who posted it, and it may be in the recipes here, so I apologize to whoever posted it. Anyway, it is not ganache but it may give you an idea of something to do or to add to help get that gloss you want.

Cocoa Mirror Glaze
Ingredients
1½ c Heavy cream   
1½ c Sugar
1½ T Honey or corn syrup   
3 t Unsalted butter
1½ c Cocoa   
2 T Vanilla

Instructions for Cocoa Mirror Glaze
TO MAKE GLAZE: 1. Place cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat. Stir in honey or corn syrup. Sift together the cocoa and sugar and add to the pan. Add butter. Stir mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes, until smooth. Do not boil. Stir in vanilla. Pass glaze through fine strainer. Use while still warm. Makes 3 cups. (Leftover glaze will keep for a week in a sealed container in the refrigerator). TO GLAZE CAKE: 1. Place cake on cardboard base that has been trimmed to fit bottom of cake, including a hole in the center. Place on cake rack positioned over a baking sheet. Pour warm chocolate glaze generously over cake to coat completely. Refrigerate for 30 min. until glaze is set. If desired, reheat remaining glaze and repeat process to give the cake a second coating. Chill to set glaze. Refrigerate cake until 1/2 hour before serving. OPTIONAL CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Reheat remaining glaze and thin with 2-3 Tb of heavy cream. Serve sauce with cake. OPTIONAL COCOA CREAM FROSTING: Chill remaining glaze for about 30 min. or until just beginning to firm up. Whip until light and fluffy. Place in piping bag and decorate cake

Second idea:
Recently someone posted a suggestion to combine equal parts corn syrup and vodka to paint onto fondant for a glossy finish. Others said it worked well.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsobubbley

i really need help getting my chocolate ganache to have that mirror look and also how do you acheive that smooth glossyness?? mine always looks like i just poured it on so it comes off messy! any help would be soooooo appreciated!! icon_redface.gif

I add two tablespoons unsalted butter to the cream before heating. The butter gives the ganache the 'shine' that you're looking for.

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:53am
post #5 of 6

i just looks like a dull chocolate and when i pour it on the cake it looks like thats all ive done..so it doesnt look professional at all..it doesnt have that smooth flawless finish..im going to try to do the butter trick im soo gonna try that other recipe too..it sounds neat..thanks guys!! i hope it turns out well

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:32am
post #6 of 6

It sounds like you maybe not letting the cream cool down enough to add the chocolate. Cool it down to about 99 degrees before adding the chocolate.

My ganache is just heavy cream and dark chocolate. No butter, no corn starch, nothing else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%