Gumpaste Figures

Decorating By sugarandstuff Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 1:38am by careylynn

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 3

Hi All, I am making my nieces 4th birthday cake for a party next week. She wants Spongebob. I am planning on doing a 2 tier design with gumpaste Spongebob and crabby patty on top and some of the other guys sitting on the ledge. I have been working on this since last night and all I got complete was Spongebob and the burger!! It's amazing how slow I am at this stuff - hope it gets better.
Anyway...I am looking for some input on how to do Patrick (the chubby pink starfish guy) I did him once but it was just so flat and unrealistic looking.
Another problem I am running into is how do you get rid of the little lines/imperfections in the gumpaste - no matter what I do, I can't get it smooth. I'm using SatinIce that I am coloring myself - sometimes mixing in some MMF.
Thanks!

2 replies
jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 3

I just did these gumpaste figurines for the first time this weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11605413@N02/4872521480/

I had the same problem with lines and wrinkling. What I found was not to precolor the gumpaste, but to color it just as I was ready to start working on the next part. You'll see the flesh tones, had some wrinkling. I had precolored it all so it would all be the same. As wsell you have to work kind of quickly, as it starts to dry a little it's harder to smooth it out. I also had well greased hands with crisco. I did not use any cornstarch or powdered sugar at all.

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #3 of 3

What if you used RKT for patrick, then cover him in fondant. That way you won't get the "lines" and you could add more detail with your fondant tools. I have the same problem with the lines if I leave it out too long or play with it too long as well. You have to work extremely fast! Try adding some crisco to it when it gets that way. It might give you some extra time before it gets all "liney", lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%