Structure/stand Ideas

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 12:57am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 12

In a couple months I'm doing a wedding cake...it will have a tier...then a 3D pumpkin cake tilted at an angle, then two more cake tiers. The tiers themselves will not be topsy turvy...just the 3D pumpkin.

I'm trying to decide if I can build a stand to hold the pumpkin at an angle safely...or if I will have to do something that is partially styrofoam and then holding the rest of the "cake" above it and cover the entire thing as the pumpkin? Or I guess even I can make it appear to be a whole pumpkin, with most of it above a support and some of it under the support, and covered as a whole...BUT it will have to be airbrushed, and ideally that done separately since the rest of the cake will be ivory with some metallic colored leaves.

Thought maybe somebody might have an idea that I didn't think of...I'm sure someone does! Thanks!

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 12

just because it LOOKS like it's at an angle doesn't mean it actually IS at an angle.

just make a ball cake but put the decos on at an angle. A good ol' optical illusion.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

just because it LOOKS like it's at an angle doesn't mean it actually IS at an angle.

just make a ball cake but put the decos on at an angle. A good ol' optical illusion.

Hmmm I dunno...they want a full, 3D pumpkin (which is somewhat squat and oblong, right?) at an angle...pumpkins aren't round...and the part on the bottom can't be flat, it has to be rounded...right?

I see what you are saying but.... the flat part resting on the cake below would end up in the wrong spot...and I don't think she wants a perfectly round pumpkin...? Maybe I'm visualizing it wrong....

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:48am
post #4 of 12

The pumpkins I get for Halloween are always round. I like them better than the oblong ones.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #5 of 12

She actually drew a sketch of what she wants and it shows the pumpkin just a tad squat and up at an angle to where we can put leaves or something underneath...hmm...will have to think about it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #6 of 12

extra icing, or RKT, under fondant will make a round cake look like me -- oops I mean like a pumpkin! icon_rolleyes.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 12

Make two bundt cakes. Take and put BC on the top of one of them. Put the other on top. Put skewers in four places to hold the two together. Cut an angle off the top of it. Voila!

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:34am
post #8 of 12

If I pictureing it right, since she wants leave under the Pumpkin how about using a styrofoam wedge. Another possible thought would be to use the Wilton tall tier stand. Hope this helps, sounds like it will be a pretty cake, is it being done in a Fall Harvest style or Halloween?

sandykay Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 12

Kitagrl,
Did you make your cake yet? I would love to see a pic.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 12

I did, thanks! Its in my pix from a few weeks ago! I ended up using a tall central structure with a styrofoam wedge under the pumpkin.

sandykay Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:15am
post #11 of 12

All I can say is WOW!!!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #12 of 12

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%