How Do You Keep Your Fondant And Gumpaste Lint Free?

Decorating By microbiology1 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 7:18pm by cmnycakes

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:48am
post #1 of 11

I've just recently started using gumpaste and fondant. I love the effects but just can't seem to keep them lint free. I've tried using only paper towels for cleaning my surface, using only white dish cloths, using only thin dish cloths, you name it! I've also taken to only wearing a shirt that's the same color was what I'm working with or white (that seems to help some). Does anyone have any suggestions or a type of paper towel that they use to clean that doesn't leave a lot of lint? THANKS!

10 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:50am
post #2 of 11

Everything you are already doing, plus, use a scrap piece of fondant or gumpaste to knead in your fingers before you start working, or if you get up and go somewhere else or touch something else. Just a few seconds is fine. Any dust and lint that will have stuck to your fingers will now be in the scrap fondant, not your nice clean piece. You can also use this for periodically "wiping" down your board you are working on. However, even if you do all this, its pretty much impossible to get 100% lint free fondant or gumpaste in my experience icon_rolleyes.gif

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 11

I also wear a white tshirt when working on fondant and gumpaste.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 11

I've had the same problem since I first started working with fondant/gumpaste and throught it was just me icon_redface.gif I know my cake area is spotless, but it kept happening icon_confused.gif

Dayti, that is a great answer to the problem! I never thought of things that way icon_cool.gif Who knew that our clothes had that much lint to leave behind?

I have learned to turn off the ceiling fan and any other fans that are directed to the cake area and that seemed to help.

Thanks to OP for this thread, because it's nice to know I am not battling this issue alone icon_wink.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 11

i always take a small scrap piece of fondant, And roll it out with my pin first (after cleaning everything down of course) , I roll the fondant against all my bench, my hands, my rolling pin, And all the tiny bits get caught in that scrap piece! its amazing, how even though after ive cleaned, that scrap piece still gets full of fluffy things! But it works like a charm, it means when i start rolling big pieces, it stays nice and clean, I also keep a few spare pieces of scrap from what ever im working on, To continually collect the fluff icon_smile.gif

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 11

I've only ever use the best quality paper towel I can find and dont use any cloth at all when working with fondant and I dont have any probs any more. The fondant scrap is also a great help!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 11

Everything that has already been said PLUS don't wear cotton or other natural fabrics. They all lose fiber and will get lint on your fondant and gumpaste. I have a nylon t-shirt and pants that I wear when I really want to keep the lint to a minimum, although you can never really have it 100% lint free.

microbiology1 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone! I'm going to try all of those things right now!

microbiology1 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you again for all of your suggestions. I tried them all yesterday and my gum paste stayed spotless!

klcpdm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klcpdm Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 11

Love the idea of a piece of scrap fondant to pick up lint before working on the real thing. I did a cake this weekend that I had to keep picking out the lint. Thank you for this post!!

Leticia

cmnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnycakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 11

I'm not sure why you're having so much problem with lint. I don't usually don't do anything special, and as longs as I've wiped my table with a damp cloth and washed my hands, I'm good to go.

Could it be a clogged AC filter? Why is there so much lint in the air?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%