Flower Centers...

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm by Occther

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone offer me any assistance with keeping my flower centers on their wires?

I always hook the end of the wire, I dip the wire in gum paste glue. after inserting I seal the gum paste around the wire as well as I can and I let dry at least over night and sometime a couple days depending on the size. Inevitably every time I make a flower that needs to be hung up to dry, the center slips off the wire. I'm desperate. I was wondering if I took a small ball of gum paste and flattened it on the bottom of the center if that would help. But I'm just not sure.

HELP!!!

4 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 5

Is it possible there's too much of the gum glue on the wire? When I've got too much glue (like when I dip and don't dab off the excess) mine will do that.

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

All4cake, I thought about that. But I actually dip the wire and then dry one side of it on a paper towel just to make sure it's not too wet. But thanks!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

Wouldn't it slip through the small, flattened ball of gp as well?

Everything I mention(ed) are possibilities...just trying to help you track down what could be goin' on....

When making the flower, is it being made in stages? center...add a layer of petals and allow to dry...add another and allow to dry....or are you making the centers and allowing them to dry then, making the rows of petals, layering, inserting center then allowing to dry? (answer not necessary...just a possibility).

Have you noticed one type of flower doing it more than others? (my gerbers were the worst until I changed how I assembled)

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 5

I make a small hook then insert the straight end through the top of the bud, give the wire a twist when the hook is in the middle of the bud and seal off the top. Like all4cake -don't use too much gum glue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%