Securing Things On Cake

Decorating By odish Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 1:55am by BethLS

odish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odish Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:24am
post #1 of 13

Hi there,
At the moment if i am securing things onto a cake (such as a fondant bow or folding butterflies) I make up some icing with egg white and icing sugar and pipe on some "blobs" where I need them to go. If it's something small I have used alcohol with a brush but things like the butterflies need to be more secure. So my question is - are there any shortcuts/alternatives to this method. I am a newbie at this wonderful "cake thing" and have about 3 cakes to do most weekends. But often I find myself mixing a whole quantity of icing to pipe just one small thing. It seems wasteful as i might not use it again that week. Could buttercream be used if I had some spare, or is there something i could buy like icing gel or pens ( I have heard of these but not sure if they are just for painting on details.)
Thank you,
Finola

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:39am
post #2 of 13

You can use a bit of melted chocolate or white chocolate or candy melts.

I use chocolate to hold bows together, but gum glue (tylose and water) for most other things.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:11am
post #3 of 13

My cake instructor taught me to use a small amt of gumpaste, dissolve in hot water and let cool - I think tylose and water is the same thing. According to old hands just using water works for most things (sugar sticks to sugar love).

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:33am
post #4 of 13

Water, bc, royal icing, edible glue, chocolate, all good options, depends what your trying to stick together.
xx

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:12am
post #5 of 13

I am doing a 4 tier cake with rice paper butterflies and was wondering the same thing

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:39am
post #6 of 13

When I made my "Gone to the Dogs" cake, the ears on my chocolate lab kept falling off. I melted one chocolate chip in the microwave and glued them back on. Nice and easy. I need to keep some white chocolate chips on hand in case I have something that just won't stick.

odish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odish Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for all those tips. So informative. Just went out to buy white chocolate but loce the idea of choc chips too. Will be buying edible glue next order. Thanks everyone.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 13

I just started using melted chocolate and I love it! It is so easy and hardens very quickly!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 13

I have been using melted chocolate, also. I put it is a plastic piping bag, micro it on medium heat (keep an eye on it so you don't over heat it.) Then I cut off a small tip and use it from the bag. When I am finished, I just flatten the bag out and keep it for the next time. Since I have several color of chocolate melts, I always what I need on hand.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 13

you dont need to buy edible glue - use the variations above to make it your self. much cheaper! I keep the dried up bits of fondant/ gumpaste just for that purpose.
xx

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 13

icon_surprised.gif I have a question...Can you use Piping Gel...Curious icon_cool.gif

Thank you thumbs_up.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 13

I make up a batch of gum glue (tylose mixed with warm water), and keep it in a small squeeze bottle in my fridge. Then it's all ready to go whenever I need it.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #13 of 13

What about securing things (like, for example, heavier fondant roses) to the SIDES of cakes, and not have them pointing downward at the end of the day?

(i.e. when creating a tiered cake with roses cascading down it)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%