Fillings For Carved Cakes

Decorating By softgreenside Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm by softgreenside

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone can give me an answer to this question.

I have to do a carved cake in the shape of Thomas the Train. The client wants Lemon cake with a fruit filling.

It's going to be a 3D Thomas the Train cake and my concern is with the filling.

Can i add a filling before carving it? The filling will be a raspberry puree.

Thoughts?

18 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 19

Stack all of your cakes and carve the shape before you attempt to add the filling. This way you can add your frosting dam and filling and not have to worry about carving into the dam and have your filling ooze out the sides of the cakes. I always carve and then fill. Just make sure that you don't overfill between layers especially with gel fillings.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #3 of 19

In addition to sweettreat101's advice, place one or two cake boards between your cake layers before you start carving. You'll have to cut them so they're not in the way when you carve. Remove them, then add your filling. The cardboards will stand in for the filling layer while you carve so you don't have to compensate too much after adding the filling.

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 19

Another question is should i get them cold before carving? I just don't want a lot of crumbs or cakes breaking while cutting.

DianeLM Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 19

Yes, the cakes should be cold, if not partially frozen. You'll also want to use a dense, sturdy recipe, like pound cake.

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 19

Thank you both, this has been very useful! icon_biggrin.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 19

I posted a kind of tutorial here on CC of a cake that was carved after filled. Though it was a very thin layer of ganache, the technique should be the same. About the crumb matter, I used thin layes of ganache as I carved.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6809137&highlight=#6809137

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 19

when i carved my guitar cake i cut the total design first, then torted the cake. but when i did another carved cake (purse/m&m)i used a torted cake already. it was a little messier, but still yeilded great results. Now i always tort and fill my cakes first before carving. it's also a great way to ensure you are not over filling your cakes! and on the plus side-seems to be less cracking of the cake. hth

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 19

anamado that is an amazing shoe. Thanks for sharing that awesome tutorial. I may try yours to see how it works.

Thanks Motorhead. Everyone has given me some good ideas here! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Now i always tort and fill my cakes first before carving.

This only works if you're filling with buttercream or something similar. Can't do it if your filling requires a dam.

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 19

Awww ok...I may have to carve and then fill/torte after. Especially since the client wants raspberry filling.

anamado Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 19

With the way I showed you, using dowels, the layers are not expected to slide... Buttercream or puree...
But it's true that ganache or buttercream will make the cake possibly more stable...

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 19

I wonder if i should add a small layer of buttercream and then put the raspberry puree on top. Do u think that would halp at all?

anamado Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 19

What about this technique?

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 19

So u think i should carve it and then fill it that way?

anamado Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 19

I am showing you possibilities. You have to decide then according to your project.
You are the one that knows the dough you are using, the size and the shape of the cake...
When I carve a cake I have to consider lots of things... Then it may come out well or less well icon_biggrin.gif

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks! you've given me a lot to think about. I may try doing a small tester before hand.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #18 of 19

I wonder if your client would be happy with a raspberry buttercream filling? If you add raspberry jam to buttercream, you get a nice pink raspberry-flavored buttercream. Using that, you could torte before carving.

softgreenside Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 19

hmm i never even thought of that. I can ask him i don't see why not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%