Satin Ice

Decorating By VegasCakesbyAmanda Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm by VegasCakesbyAmanda

VegasCakesbyAmanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VegasCakesbyAmanda Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 9

I've noticed that alot of people are using Satin Ice fondant for their cakes. I really want to try it (I've only used the Wilton stuff before and it tastes so horrible). My questions about it are:
1. Does it taste good?
2. Will it stay fresh in the bucket? For how long? (I have 5 cakes in the next 2 months and want to know if I buy a 10lb bucket, will it stay fresh for those couple of months?)

Thanks for the help.
Amanda

8 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, Satin Ice will stay good, just keep in wrapped and in your bucket with the lid closed tightly. I have switched from Satin Ice to Fondarific. I like the way it works better and it tastes MUCH better. My customers actually like the taste of Fondarific. Especially if they've tasted other before.

VegasCakesbyAmanda Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you TracyCakes. Maybe I will buy small batches of each and see which my customers prefer.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 9

Actually, the taste of Wilton fondant has improved.

After using it for 3 years I've stopped using Satin Ice. Too many problems with it since they switched over to new equipment. I'm loving Fondx.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 9

VegasCakesbyAmanda- if you want to try the Duff fondant , i hear it's fondarrific, go to michaels or joanns with a 40% off sometimes they have a 50% that's when i load up. Have you tried making your own? I've heard great things about the recipe in here. I'm going to try it next weekend. I hear it's cheap, easy and tasty.
cakesbycathy-the wilton fondant improved? I need to check it out. thanks for the info. I hate the way it tasted.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 9

There was a write up in our local paper (Baltimore Sun) about Duff and his new products. The company that is producing his fondant is from a company that made stationary and decided to go into this business. It is not Fondarific although it does act like it. Stays soft for a long time, great taste.
Ive also heard that Wilton has now better. I always used it as a last result it I ran out or to cover dummys/cake boards with. Ive always liked how easy it was to work with so if it tastes better then that is nice to hear! Its also the cheapest fondant out there aside from making it yourself.
If I do make it myself, I use the Micheles Fondant on here. It works really well and rarely have I had problems with it. Also tastes really good!!

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #7 of 9

I also stopped using SI for covering cakes because of the change in quality. I used Wilton in a pinch, and have kept using it because of how easy it is to work with (and it's cheap). The taste is better than before; still not "good" but if you add clear flavor to it it's not bad at all. I've been meaning to try making my own but haven't had the free time.

I tried the Duff brand and I found it a little too sweet...mixing it with Wilton mellowed it out. Nice workability, though.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #8 of 9

I used to use Satin Ice but also do not like how it is these days...not nearly as nice as it used to be.

I now use FondX. It has a nicer taste than Satin Ice and is softer/smoother to work with, and a bit more forgiving on the cake.

The only bad thing is it doesn't dry as quickly as Satin Ice when making bows or figures.

VegasCakesbyAmanda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the tips everyone. I do use Wilton, but I'd rather not have to add the flavoring to make it taste better. I guess it's not that bad, but I know there's better.

I did try to make my own before and it turned out horrible. I think it's easier/quicker for me to just buy it pre-made. I already make everything else from scratch, if I can get a little help there, I'll take it. icon_smile.gif

I've looked at all the fondant brand suggestions, so I will be ordering soon. Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%