Sad Fondant!

Baking By serene2010 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 11:30pm by serene2010

serene2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serene2010 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 6

so i made my first marshmallow fondant... and it is so totally not working and am so sad about it!.. anyone have any suggestions..? the fondant tears easily and is so not elastic..icon_sad.gif

5 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 6

Did you let it rest overnight? MMF works best if it has a good 24hrs to rest.

Is it stiff? If you added too much powdered sugar it can be too stiff to roll smoothly. Some people work in shortening as they roll/knead to make it more elastic.

Did you roll too thin? Any fondant will tear if rolled too thinly.

HTH
Kristy

serene2010 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 6

on the contrary, i think its too soft.. its not as stiff as the packaged fondant..icon_sad.gif..
i made it on monday.. so its been over 24 hrs too..
any suggestions?

serene2010 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

for all those who do go thru this in the future.. i did work with the same fondant and by God's grace, it did its work.. what i did was .. add some glycerine to increase elasticity and also try and get the room down to a lower temp( it was a 106 out here in dallas) so i had more time to work on it without it getting so gooey.icon_smile.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

I too have had a hard time with MMF when I make it. I's hard to describe. too stretchy when it's rolled but gummy at the same time(?) not finding words to describe. I have made it several times and have used all the tricks I've found here on cc. What I do now is make MMF when im covering my cake boards since it's cheaper and it works for that then get the store bought fondant and cover my cakes with it.

serene2010 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 6

i hear ya! .. and i think that's awesome but just in case u wanna experiment once again the non marshmallow method made at home ... works pretty gud... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%