Better To Pipe With Bc On Bc Or Ri On Bc? Pros & Cons...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 9:24am by indydebi

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:49am
post #1 of 6

I'm needing to pipe swirls on a bc wedding cake. Is it best to use bc to do this or RI? What are the pros and cons?

5 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:54am
post #2 of 6

I have done this, and IMO always RI. (which in this case is just a stiffer buttercream)

I have come to realize there is RI and then there is RI.

I use meringue RI when I want to build things like boat, outline decos to fill with RI-flo, extremely hard flowers etc.

And when I am decorating on a cake(scrolls, any piping, flowers, etc) I use A buttercream RI, which is just a stiffer buttercream and crusts hard but edible.

you can look at my photos for examples. of each type.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:58am
post #3 of 6

tesso, what would a RI bc recipe look like? Is it actually called RI bc?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:15am
post #4 of 6

unfortunately I have not seen any specifics between what people call RI and what I term RI-buttercream. Usually I can tell by looking at a recipe which area it falls into in my book.

When I make a stiff bc for flowers, scrolls etc: It has no meringue powder, no cream of tartar.

When I make Hard RI it will have either of those in it.

When i am making RI for string work it will have a significant amount of cornsyrup to keep it from cumbling or breaking.

Like I said there are a lot of variations on RI. and usually they will have to be tweaked one way or another depending on humidy, heat, cold.

I suggest experimenting with some various recipes. And practice with them. That is how I made my extreme heat crusting bc recipes. . Make cupcakes, put all my different kinds of bc and RI and RI-bc on them and set them out in the sun for a few hours icon_twisted.gif whatever wasnt a melted mess, or held its shape won.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:15am
post #5 of 6

I prefer buttercream. I rarely use royal icing for anything unless I need it to dry rock hard. For me, good ol' buttercream is easier, quicker, and less mess than mixing up another batch of something else!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:24am
post #6 of 6

I use BC for everything. borders, roses, flowers writing and even stringwork. I'm just not going to take the time to make 2 different kinds of icing when one will work just fine ('coz I'm basically a lazy person! icon_lol.gif ). I've never understood or seen a need for RI just to do some simple decorations on a cake.

Save yourself some time ..... use BC. It works great and tastes better. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%