Somtimes I Could Scream.

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm by michellenj

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 11

I swear the world is out to get us. I know it isn't true, but have you ever had about 50 bad things just come at you over and over and over again? Well that's how it feels for us right now.

Our latest joy is that yesterday my husband got a flat tire so he changed it over to the spare and took it up to the tire shop today which of course informed us that the tire could not be patched it has to be replaced. Then they got looking at the other tire and said that tire is going to go soon too, cause it is very dry rotted (oh yes, this car that we bought used in Feb is a real GEM!) so that tire needs to be replaced too. So the cheapest tires we can seem to find for that &*@^$ car is going to cost us about 200.00$ that we don't have (and that's just for 2 tires!) On top of the 500.00 that we don't have but are trying to save up to replace the stupid fuel pump!

Sometimes I could just scream.

10 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry things are going bonkers for you right now. But, here's a suggestion. My son recently found an awesome deal on tires for his car on Craigslist--give it a try. He ended up paying $125. for 4 nice tires on really nice rims. Good luck!

TheCakerator Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 11

thank you for the reply. I did check craigslist and there were no tires in that size available for us. That is how we bought the last set of tires on our old car. Maybe I will have to keep checking for a few days and pray something pops up.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 11

You can call the tire shops in your area and ask if they have any takeoffs that will fit. It probably varies by area but a decent takeoff will cost about $25, including putting it on the car. We do that sometimes when we just can't afford a tire. Our spare tire is so small that you can't drive more than 30mph on it without the whole car vibrating and shaking like it's going to come apart. I don't know why they pretend that's a spare tire...they should just have a sticker in the spare tire well that says "you're screwed if you have a flat."

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 11

Keep checking Craigslist-new stuff goes on there by the minute. I check surrounding areas too-keeping fingers crossed!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Our spare tire is so small that you can't drive more than 30mph on it without the whole car vibrating and shaking like it's going to come apart. I don't know why they pretend that's a spare tire...they should just have a sticker in the spare tire well that says "you're screwed if you have a flat."

It's referred to as "the doughnut" and it's designed to just get you to a safe place until you can buy a new tire. It's not meant to be driven over a handful of miles.

I think it's a crap idea, too.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 11

The first thing my DH does whenever we have gotten a new "used" car is to go to a local junkyard and buy a rim and tire for that year and model to use as a spare. Cheap and works a LOT better than that little throw away.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's referred to as "the doughnut" and it's designed to just get you to a safe place until you can buy a new tire. It's not meant to be driven over a handful of miles.

I think it's a crap idea, too.

I know it's only supposed to go a few miles...but when you get a flat 40 miles from home at 10 pm, you pretty much have to drive on it. I mean, even if we had the car towed home because it was impossible to drive on the spare, tow trucks don't have room for a four-person family in the cab with the driver. San Antonio is not set up to get anywhere without a car.

I was thinking of getting a full-size spare for the car...but right now the starter needs replaced and DH isn't working...so we're driving my mom's old car, which wouldn't be bad but we keep getting pulled over and getting warnings for BS things because my mom's old car looks like it belongs to a couple of stoners.

TheCakerator Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 11

thanks for the replies everyone .. my dh is pretty nervous about driving on the spare for a long period of time, especially because he works out in the boonies and if the spare blew he would be sitting out there till I realized he should have been home a long time ago! So we are sucking it up and buying one tire to replace the spare at a "discount" tire store .. even with their online special of 20.00 off, it's STILL going to cost us 76.00!!! Hopefully we will be able to get the other tire soon before it blows .. and of course replace the fuel pump before it leaves us stranded ... again ... icon_cry.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 11

There used to be a tire store online that we got truck tires at really cheap too - nebraskatire.com - not sure if they are still in business or not.

Sending you good wishes, and hoping things look up for you soon.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 11

I got an almost brand new tire and rim for my Honda Accord from a junkyard. It cost me next to nothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%