Using Wasc Original, But Only Need A 6 In. Cake-

Baking By calicopurr Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm by calicopurr

calicopurr Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 11

I love using Kakeladi's original WASC cake, but I only need a six inch 2 layer cake so I don't need to add the additional flour, sugar, etc. I want to add the sour cream but no oil like in her recipe. I want a dense cake to hold up to fondant.

I have the Betty Crocker cake mix already, how much sour cream/other ingredients should I add? I'm sure someone had done this with great success. I really don't want to freeze the rest of the batter or make cake balls with extra cake. There has to be a solution to this wonderful recipe. Hope you can help ....a big thank you if you can!
Cat

10 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 11

I would make half the recipe, but would still have some batter leftover. You could always make another 6 inch and freeze or make a trifle for your own family's dessert.

calicopurr Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you for your reply. I thought I'd have more of a response.

I think I'll make it this way.

1 BC cake mix(this will be strawberry)
1/2 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream

I hope this comes out good!

DeeDelightful Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 11

There's another recipe on here called "Super Moist Best Ever melt in your mouth", and it really is good, doesn't make as much batter as WASC

calicopurr Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 11

I'll go look at that now. The cake I just made came out too dry for my liking. I don't understand why since I omitted the extra cup of flour and sugar. I wonder if the extra sugar makes it moist?

mirda6275 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 11

when I'm making smaller batches, I use 1 box of white cake mix, follow the directions for the eggs/oil/water on the back of the box and add 1 cup of sour cream, and some almond extract, it tastes great and people love it.

DeeDelightful Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 11

Sugar does add moisture.

calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirda6275

when I'm making smaller batches, I use 1 box of white cake mix, follow the directions for the eggs/oil/water on the back of the box and add 1 cup of sour cream, and some almond extract, it tastes great and people love it.

Does this make a dense cake Mirda?

I see cake balls in the future with my dry cake.

mirda6275 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #9 of 11

It's a moist cake. I'm not too worried about how dense it is because I always use SPS to stack cakes. I've put covered it with buttercream, fondant and ganache (separately, not all 3 at once) and it's held up fine to the decorations.

fertluv3 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #10 of 11

I just use the 1/4 WASC recipe thats in the recipe section on this board. Worked perfect for a 6"

calicopurr Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 11

I couldn't find that one fourth wasc cake recipe. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%