Fondant Numbers

Decorating By Megb25 Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 3:40am by Megb25

Megb25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megb25 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

I've made fondant numbers before and just laid them on top of cakes, but I would really like to know how to stand them up on top of cakes without toppling!

6 replies
katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 7

what fondant are you using? I use marshmallow fondant and I'm pretty sure that unless they were super super thin, they would not dry enough to be able to stand up. I would instead use gumpaste or mix gumpaste into fondant. That stuff hardens up very nicely.

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 7

what fondant are you using? I use marshmallow fondant and I'm pretty sure that unless they were super super thin, they would not dry enough to be able to stand up. I would instead use gumpaste or mix gumpaste into fondant. That stuff hardens up very nicely.

Megb25 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:50am
post #4 of 7

Okay thanks soo much! I'll try using gum paste next time! I used just marshmallow fondant and they wouldn't stand up on their own.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:53am
post #5 of 7

You can also try mixing tylose poweder into your fondant to make it dry hard. I don't use MMF so I am not sure if tylose will harden it or not. Works well for SI and most others.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #6 of 7

the ones standing up as toppers I make from Wilton fondant which dries very firm, and I insert floral wire into the number after making it. it then inserts into the cake and stands up as a topper!

Megb25 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #7 of 7

It I use floral wire what gauge should I buy ???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%