Please Help!

Decorating By Gloria72777 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm by Gloria72777

Gloria72777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gloria72777 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #1 of 12

I have to transport a cake from one state to another. It is about a 12hr drive. I know i need to freeze the cake because I am finishing the cake there. My question is once the cake is frozen do I have to completely defrost it before I can cover it in BC and fondant?? usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

11 replies
DiviniDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiviniDee Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 12

I absolutely defrost the cake, but keep it refrigerated and cold. If you don't thaw it out first, it will crack and droop as it settles.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 12

Hey!
Are you transporting it in a cooler?
If so.. it will probably defrost a little in the 12hour drive, cooler or not...
You can apply your crumb coat to the cake frozen, then let it thaw in the fridge or you can let it thaw and just apply your buttercream...

Gloria72777 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezdelights

Hey!
Are you transporting it in a cooler?
If so.. it will probably defrost a little in the 12hour drive, cooler or not...
You can apply your crumb coat to the cake frozen, then let it thaw in the fridge or you can let it thaw and just apply your buttercream...

It is getting transported in a cooler but I am having my brother in law take it 2 days prior to me getting there because i have kids and we cant make that trip in 1 day. Should I have him put it in the freezer or the fridge. He will get there Tuesday night and I will be there Thursday morning to finish it!

DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 12

Well, I have never re-froze a cake... But I'm sure you can? Maybe someone else can answer that icon_razz.gif

When is the cake for Thursday? Is this a tier cake? I'd make it at your destination! lol
You don't have to put it back in the fridge really, it can stay out in a sealed container for a few days or more.... (no dairy icing on it or perishable fillings)

I personally put my cakes in the fridge - iced and non-iced, however some do not put their cakes in the fridge!

Gloria72777 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:55am
post #6 of 12

It is for a wedding on sat. I am going to elevate the cake over dry ice to hopefully keep it frozen during the trip!! What do you think??

I am going to cut it and prep it for the trip. I will not put any frosting on until I arrive!!

DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #7 of 12

I just checked out your pics, your cakes are very very good!

It should stay cool with some dry ice, but I have never been in a car ride with frozen things in the cooler for longer then 2 hours lol...

It will really be fine if it thaws.. just have him put it in the fridge when he gets there - and it will be ready for you to decorate!

Gloria72777 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much!!! I have been doing this for a little over a year and I am self taught.......well.........with the help of everyone on here too....LOL!! Thanks for all the help!! It is greatly appreciated!!! icon_biggrin.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:12am
post #9 of 12

I wish I could have been more help! I just don't know but I know it will be fine if it thaws! I know some people if they have tier cake due Saturday, they start baking Tuesday or Wednesday! You are good to go! Good luck!

Gloria72777 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 12

No worries!! icon_biggrin.gif Every little bit helps!!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria72777

Thanks so much!!! I have been doing this for a little over a year and I am self taught.......well.........with the help of everyone on here too....LOL!! Thanks for all the help!! It is greatly appreciated!!! icon_biggrin.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Just a year? Wow, your cakes are lovely! I especially like the pink polkadot cake, the daisies are so cute. thumbs_up.gif

Gloria72777 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks to the wonderful help I got the cake arrived in one piece and I was able to decorate it with no problem!! Thanks so much ladies!! usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%