Kosher Certification

Business By NoahLili Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm by itsacake

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 5

I just got a license for my home-based bakery!! Yeah!! I live in Cobb County, GA where we are required to have a separate kitchen. I built a kitchen in my basement with all new equipment: oven, fridge, bowls, etc. I plan on getting Kosher certified. I've done some research, and plan on starting the process this week. Has anyone gone through this process? If so, what should I expect? Is this a long process? Any input would be appreciated. TIA!!

4 replies
DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:02am
post #2 of 5

I have Kosher certification, but in Israel. I'm not sure how long the process is, they will want to know what ingredients you use, and explain the laws of checking eggs, flour, etc and separating challa. It is a simpler process if you're doing all parev or all dairy, a mixture of the 2 would require more supervision and seaparate ovens, etc

Just wanted to wish you luck!
Sharon

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

I have orthodox kosher supervision under the Vaad Hakashrus of Northern California. I do both dairy and pareve and therefore had to put in two ovens. I also have to have a system so that pareve and dairy dishes are washed separately--I have big tubs that fit into my three-compartment sinks for when I wash pareve. I also have separate tables for pareve and dairy preparations and separate utensils as well. If you are only going to do one or the other, certification will be more simple.

I had to submit a list of all ingredients with the brands to be used and their certifying agencies. If I need something not already on the list, I have to check with the Rabbis and have it approved before bringing it into the kitchen.

All my equipment had to be new or go through a process (boiling or torching depending on size and previous use) to kasher it. Used cake and sheet pans were not allowed to be kashered so I needed to buy them all new. All metal and glass and china had to be immersed in a mikvah keilim--and as I buy new things they have to be immersed as well.

There is a significant supervision fee and the Rabbis come in and do unannounced checks just like the health department does--only more frequently.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 5

whose supervision do you have itsacake?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 5

My supervision is under the Vaad Hakashrus of Northern California. The head is Rabbi Levy Zirkind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%