Gluten Free Betty Crocker

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm by jason_kraft

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 16

I have been searching for a gluten free icing..
And came across this on Betty Crocker's site, saying soon all of their icings will be gluten free!? Patiently waiting - unless this has already happened??

I bought gluten free cake mix at The Bulk Barn - and icing sugar - but not quite sure what to do with the icing sugar - no directions on it icon_razz.gif
Any ideas???

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/gluten-free-baking-mixes/faq

One more Q! Should I buy new pans/bowls to cook gluten free products in?
I wash all my pans in the dishwasher.. but not sure if I should use materials that haven't been touched with flour etc!

15 replies
elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 16

Another name for powdered sugar is icing sugar, so I would *guess* to use it like you would powdered sugar, but that is an assumption. Maybe someone else knows the answer to that for sure?

On the pans, I have a customer who has asked about gluten free cakes, and she has never mentioned anything to me about the bowls or baking pans. I would assume that when you wash the pan, it washes away traces of gluten filled products that you've used in the pan.

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 16

So I can make my regular icing sugar then! :p

Thank u!

DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:56am
post #4 of 16

I just found a lot of recipes online for the icing..
ex.
Icing ingredients:
1/2 stick of butter
3 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

So.. really I can use any icing, and I don't have to use gluten free icing sugar.. I can use the regular icing sugar?

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #5 of 16

you just need to check the labels on each product in your icing and make sure they don't contain gluten.....found this on wiki.answers . com -

Powdered sugar is usually gluten-free, but it is important to always check the label. Some brands even label the package as gluten-free. Most commercial powdered sugars are blended with corn starch to keep them fluffy. Occasionally, some manufacturers have been known to use wheat products instead of corn starch, so ALWAYS check the label every time you buy!

Check each and every product label on any ingredient you add, if there are ingredients you are unsure about, call the manufacturer or look it up on google. Gluten is hidden in all sorts of things that you can't necessarily tell from the label, like "artificial and natural flavors" or certain food dyes.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 16

Be careful with gluten free baking. Always check labels of any ingredient you are not sure about. If you are worried about the powdered sugar for the icing, make SMBC or IMBC. Both use egg whites, regular cane sugar and butter...no gluten there.

I have a mixing bowl that I reserve for gluten free baking along with a set of measuring cups and spoons. I make sure to wash my pans very well. If someone has celiac disease, even a trace amount of gluten can cause illness. I take care to wash down and dry my counter tops, completely wipe and dry my KA mixer so that there is no trace of flour from regular baking. It's a lot of prep work, but worth it.

DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 16

The icing did make me wonder, even more so because I found gluten free icing sugar, I thought I needed a whole new recipe - so I got a little confused! :S hehe

Thanks for all the tips!!

I think i'll stick to vegan friendly cakes in the future... more then gluten free ... I wouldn't want to make anyone sick!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #8 of 16

As long as you're careful about wiping down all surfaces and equipment, you should be fine. You also need to watch how you store ingredients (nothing containing gluten should be above GF ingredients), and make sure there are no airborne gluten particles - so don't do GF and non-GF baking at the same time.

Cross-contamination problems usually happen when line workers are not educated about the issue and/or when automated assembly lines are "cleaned" between batches by blowing air. It's pretty easy to tell which manufacturers take this issue seriously when you contact them.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:55am
post #9 of 16

I just dealt with these issues also, but it turn out to be easier than I thought. My biggest worry was what to grease the pans with, and found out the Pam original is gluten free. NOT Pam Baking, it contains flour!! Also, most regular buttercream recipes are gluten free,(including indydebi's with kraft dream whip) Wilton fondant is gluten free, so are other fondants, and Jello products. Watch out for some spices/additives such as Triticate, Spelt, Mir or Farina aka Far or Farro when reading the labels, because these all have gluten. HTH

DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 16

I never even thought of that.. I use Pam baking spray - but I use Pam cooking spray only if I run out of the baking one. So many things to remember!
I'm so glad I found a gluten free cake mix.. do you think its safe to use a canned icing? The less contamination I can do - the better I will feel icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all of your tips and help guys!

Karen421 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezdelights

I never even thought of that.. I use Pam baking spray - but I use Pam cooking spray only if I run out of the baking one. So many things to remember!
I'm so glad I found a gluten free cake mix.. do you think its safe to use a canned icing? The less contamination I can do - the better I will feel icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all of your tips and help guys!

I would google it before you use it - just to be sure. Here is the recipe I used for the cake: (the recipe came from wierkd)

Betty Crocker Gluten free cake mix,
Jell-O brand pudding coordinates with the cake
Substitute milk for the water,
For chocolate add a 1/2 cup of hot coffee to the mix also.

The gentleman has been on a gluten free diet for 42 years and he said it was the best cake he has ever had.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 16

What did you think of the BB gluten free mix? I've been eyeing it since I have a gluten free friend that I want to bake for.

For those of you in the US - how much are the BC gluten free mixes? how do they compare in price and yield to the regular ones?

Karen421 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 16

The BC was double the price of regular, and it does yield less. I added to it - so it came out the same as one box mix without anything.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

The BC was double the price of regular, and it does yield less. I added to it - so it came out the same as one box mix without anything.

yikes double the price. That may not make it worth it for me since I have to get friend's to bring them back from the US for me. Hmmm thanks for the info though icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 16

When I was first asked to do a gluten free cake for a friends wife, I began researching for the frosting. Some sites said that the alcohol in vanilla does contain gluten as it's in the process of producing alcohol, though it's in miniscule quantities. Some sites now promote their gluten free vanilla, others are saying it contains no gluten. I did use the clear Wilton vanilla on several occasions for the same person and she never had a problem with it. I used the BC mix for her cakes, and I have to say, they are delicious.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

When I was first asked to do a gluten free cake for a friends wife, I began researching for the frosting. Some sites said that the alcohol in vanilla does contain gluten as it's in the process of producing alcohol, though it's in miniscule quantities.

Pure vanilla extract is always gluten-free as long as it is made to US FDA guidelines. The alcohol in the extract is distilled, which removes proteins (including gluten).

Of course, if the label says something other than "pure vanilla extract", all bets are off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%